Rifle Reccomendations - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Rifle Reccomendations

I'm looking for suggestions on an new deer rifle for a friend of mine. He is looking to spend $400 to $600 range. He lives near williamsport & im suggesting he head to Grice's in Clearfield to purchase. After 9 years i may actually get the remington .243 back that i lent him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:22 AM

Re: Rifle Reccomendations

I good scope will cost 200-400 alone. Savage is a good package gun so is the Weatherby Vanguard. First thing you have to think about is wood or plastic stock. Then stainless or blued barrel. Then what caliber.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not sure about the new Marlins but if you get one of the older XL-7's they are deadly and not overly expensive. Put on a Redfield or Nikon scope and start dropping deer.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:32 AM
The Man

There's a lot of information missing here, like where do you guys hunt at? Is it in more open fields or in more of a brush type environment? Is there a particular action you are leaning towards? Pump, Lever, bolt....etc? What time frame is he looking at? For that price range I like the Remington pumps, you can find a good used one and put a scope on it for that price range, or even the Marlin Lever Actions.

Mac
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos & Buster
I'm looking for suggestions on an new deer rifle for a friend of mine. He is looking to spend $400 to $600 range. He lives near williamsport & im suggesting he head to Grice's in Clearfield to purchase. After 9 years i may actually get the remington .243 back that i lent him.
He might be able to save himself some time and gas money by stopping at Millers Gun Shop. It's off route 6 between Mill Hall and the interstate 80 interchange at Lamar. Miller not quite as big as Grice but still a good size gun shop. He usually has a good selection of both new and used.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for the info. I believe he is looking for a bolt action & function / accuracy will trump looks. Huntting terrain will vary. I am reccomending the old standby 30.06 caliber as it is versatile. Yeah he can't afford a $400 scope so he'll have to settle for a low end leupold or nikon at best or look at redfield or higherend bushnell. What about Howa or Tica models?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 PM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

i have the tika T3 and it's a great gun. it's a 243 that shots great, has a smooth action and will be in your price range. can't go wrong with an 06, especially if you only use factory ammo. best selection of bullets out there at a good price. some of the "better" calibers may have limitations on where you can buy them and how much they cost. for example the 243 ammo costs more than the 06 ammo i buy, why? there is less powder, bullet and brass in a 243 but it's less popular than the 06.

RIZ
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i'd go with a 308 or 30/06 for ammo selection and price. if he's not really a gun guy that appreciates walnt and blue, i'd go with a stainless/synthetic combo from savage or marlin. for a scope, the bushnell elite 3200 series is good and under $200. for mounts i'd go with talley lightweight. they are a base and ring combo and can be had for around $50. you should be able to set him up nicely for under $600 with a gun that will last a few lifetimes.

i'd look on gunbroker for ideas of prices. grices is not known for the best prices but have nice selection. make sure to check out their scratch and dent room in the back.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Sage

I think Millers is on 26......Not too far from State Police Barracks...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 03:36 PM

I have been using a Ruger 270 with good success for many years. I have a 3X9 Leupold scope.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page