To Scope or Not To Scope (Marlin 336).... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

To Scope or Not To Scope (Marlin 336)....

that is the question.

Long story short, I got a very nice used Marlin 336 with scope rings, but no scope, it's also missing the rear sight part (removed for the scope). My plan was to get a simple Bushnell or Big Box Store scope for it, but when I was talking to the gentleman at Dicks, he suggested for a lever gun like the Marlin 336 it would be better to just order the rear sight parts. Now truthfully I don't mind spending a little less money as it means I can get more ammo and other gear (heck I even picked up a box of Leverevolution ammo for 22.95 last night), since I have an allotted amount of money a month I can spend on "hobbies/interests" (though it can carry over). One thing to mention is that I'm in 5D, so barring times when I'm in other parts of the state, I won't be able to hunt with the Marlin that much.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 01:08 PM

Re: To Scope or Not To Scope (Marlin 336)....

I was considering removing my scope from my 336 but I didnt. One reason I did not was I have a straight 4X wide angle scope (Tasco) from around 1979 or so. That scope gives a nice field of view. I dont even know if they make anything similar or not. IMO if you can find something like what i mentioned then consider it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

the 336 is an ideal platform for a nice compact scope, and really doesn't take away from its handiness. on my 336's i use small scopes like the bushnell banner 1.5-4.5x32 ($75), and the nikon monarch 1.5-4.5x20 ($175). i use talley lightweight one peice mounts ($55). these make for ideal PA woods guns. on my win 94 450 i use a scout scope setup. this is real handy for quick shots with both eyes open and leaves the receiver area open for carrying. my eyes require a scope most times these days but i have also hunted a lot with open sites on old pumps. open sites are a different ballgame for sure.

if you're going the open site route and don't have the rear site already, a tang mounted peep site like the skinner site is nice too. i use a tang site on one of my old pumps and it works good for my eyes. i just like the scopes for positive ID of the point count past about 30 yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

oh, and look on marlin owners forum, flea bay or gunbroker for good used scopes and sites.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't like a scope on a lever or pump gun,seems to upset the balance, but that may just be me. I like a peep, and Williams sights makes one that will probably mount to the marlin without any smith work. My eye sight will no longer allow me to use a open sight but have no problem with a peep. If you do decide to go with a scope, get a low power fixed or variable, low end being 1 or 2 power. The 336 is a brush gun, up close and personal, the peep or low power scope will allow you to use it as such, both are good out to 100 to 200 yards depending on your eye sight.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

This won't likely be a popular suggestion... BUT I like it on my 336 in .35 REM

I have "see-thru mounts" with a 3x9 scope.

I find it easy to use either the irons in thick stuff, or the scope for longer shots. It has worked fine for me.
I've taken several deer with it. It's been set up that way for over 25 years.

For some reason people seem not to "approve" of see-thru mounts.
I wouldn't use them on a precision bolt, but they seem perfect for a lever action.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Sage

I have a 4x on my 336 with flipover mounts, I am going to change to fixed mounts and might change to 3x9, not for the firearm so much but for these old eyes, I can always crank it down, but it gives me choices which the 4x doesnt....
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Regular Visitor

I have a problem with marlins,I cant get enough.go with a peepsight skinner makes a high quality item ,runs about $60. midway has a williams peep on sale now for $30. right now.I killed deer at well over 100 yards+ and can hit clays at 200.I in no way feel handicapped with my peep sighted marlins.you may need a taller front sight,I like the williams fire sight.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wells
I have a problem with marlins,I cant get enough.go with a peepsight skinner makes a high quality item ,runs about $60. midway has a williams peep on sale now for $30. right now.I killed deer at well over 100 yards+ and can hit clays at 200.I in no way feel handicapped with my peep sighted marlins.you may need a taller front sight,I like the williams fire sight.
So all I would need to buy is a peep sight vs 58, 60,62,63 (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0...ticsdetail/336)?

Does the fact I wear glasses impact the use of scope and sight in anyway?

Thanks!

EDIT
Is this the williams peep sight?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/583902/...-aluminum-black

That's a [censored] good price for me!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 02:54 PM
dce
Sage

I almost look as a scope to be a necessity just for being able to count points.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page