PA License To Carry questions... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

PA License To Carry questions...

<span style="font-weight: bold">Recently bought a pistol and would like to go over a few laws, this is from the PA firearms law</span> ss6106.
Offense defined - Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
<span style="font-weight: bold">What i don't understand is if i go buy a pistol and want to go target shooting with it im aloud to without a LTC due to exception number 4 listed as </span>Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.
<span style="font-weight: bold">So if i am right I'm legally aloud to take my gun with me where-ever i please as long as its in a case unloaded, and i have to be in the act of / or going to target shoot or take my gun to the gun-shop. correct me if im wrong....</span>

WMU 2B 2D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 06:49 PM

Re: PA License To Carry questions...

If you have a license to carry....your good to carry "anytime". With some exclusions...federal buildings etc....

If you don't, you have to have it as said above and be doing one of those...if your "just running errands" and aren't doing one of those things, buying it, selling it, shooting it etc, that's illegal....when transporting it wihout a ltcf, can't be loaded or concealed...read the law on that..might need cased, ammo stored seperate etc...I don't know as I have a ltcf and don't worry about it...
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I plan on getting a LTC but id like to go shoot it a little in the meantime and would like to know my rights just in case a cop trys asking for a permit when indeed i know im aloud to transport without a permit under some exceptions....

WMU 2B 2D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Banned

You are <span style="font-weight: bold">allowed</span> to carry your hand gun unloaded and not concealed if going to and from the range.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:03 PM

John S does your sportsman firearm permit cover going to the range?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Sage

Yep

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Banned

Same rules apply as above.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:16 PM

No it doesent i just read the fine print.
This permit must be carried in conjunction with a valid hunting,fishing ,furtaking license or permit to train hunting dogs ,when actually hunting,fishing,trapping,or training dogs,or going to or from the place were you hunt ,fish trap,or train dogs-NOT VALID FOR ANY OTHER REASON.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:18 PM

I would have thought the range also.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Banned

I didn't indicate it did cover you going to the range I indicated follow the rules above. If you have a sportsmans permit you just abide by the rules of carrying a hadgun while going to the range. The sportsmans permit is for huntingn trapping and fishing and fishing, it is not required to go to a firing range , neither is a LTC as long as your gun is not loaded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page