Gander Mountain Bait and Switch - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Gander Mountain Bait and Switch

I am not a whiner by nature, but this one got my goat. GM is currently advertising the Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 for $899.99. That is a very good price for the gun, which lists for 1331 or so on Kimber.com. When I went to the store the first day the sale was advertised, I was greeted (eventually) by a saleman who told me that the advertised gun was not available, and it's stead, they were selling the Ultra Carry II, which is normally sold for, wait for it, $899.99. He then tried to sell me that gun which had none of the features I was looking for. I was also told that they did not have any CDP II's in stock. I complained to the clerk, to no avail. I feel very much like I was victim to a bait and switch. I plan on complaining to the AG office, but don't think I really have a legal case, since there was a correction to the ad posted in the store. I still don't like how they did this. Has anyone else had similar problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Gander Mountain Bait and Switch

Did you speak with the store manager? How about ask for a raincheck? Did they check with other GM stores to see if it was in stock? How about taking the ad to a competitor and see if they'll price match?
Not really sure what complaining to AG will solve but I'm sure in any ad there is a disclaimer!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Its a ploy to get you into the store, thats all. Years ago there was a case with Bon-Ton stores doing the same thing. They happened to do it to a politically connected person, who took it and ran with it. Again, try to buy your guns from private shops, you are helping someone who is trying to make a living, not feeding a corporate cow!

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

BOYCOTT!
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Didn't ask for the manager, but they was a sign saying the ad was wrong. No rainchecks, which was actually in the ad. They went so far as to pull all the Ultra CDPs from the display for the duration of the sale. And I don't expect the AG to sue them, but I'm still pretty upset. And Joe, I do support the locals, but money is money sometimes. My locsl store can't even get Kimbers in a reasonable timeframe, let alone match this price.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 02:38 PM
The Man

They are all guilty of it many times. Couple weeks ago my Dab, brothers and I schedules a trip to bass pro as Dad got a few hundred bucks in gift cards for Christmas. When I got to his house there was a sale flyer that was sent the day before.

I saw they had a Taurus 85 for $280 in blue, and $300 in stainless on sale. While I don't typically guy guns from big box stores it was a good deal, and I was in the market so I hit the ATM on the way. I wanted the stainless just because I like them, but blue is fine just as well. I got to the counter, and there wasn't even a stainless gun in the store. They didn't even have a spot for one in the case. They had one blued gun which I bought. I asked the guy at the counter about it, and he just kind of smirked and said "you know how it goes". Not his call, just doing as told.

It's kinda of like when the electonics stores put an add in a flyer for a deal almost too good to be true, and to find out they only really had 3 of them with hopes you would buy something else since you were already there.

Venison - The other fast food
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

sounds like they screwed up and had it covered with their posted signs. it could happen. i doubt i'd complain to anyone about it. seems like they fixed the problem. gander has went way down hill since they opened here in greensburg. they used to have decent ammo sales and good used gun prices. i bought several used and 2 new guns there. but something happened and their prices are ridiculous and the selection is crappy. i knew the gunsmith personally from another store and he got laid off last year and said they layed off all their full time people and have regional repair centers now that are doing poor work. it sounds like this is a company in trouble and scrambling to me. i still go there but don't buy much anymore. i predict they will be restructuring one of these days. they aren't as crowded as they once were and they seem on the decline.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:16 PM
The Man

The problem is they have gone to a one size fits all type of store. I do buy stuff at the pennsdale store, but not a whole lot. There fishing department has gone into the crapper as they don't cater to the regional people. Seriously....how many deep diving crankbaits are you going to sell around here? 95 percent of the fisherman around here fish in a very shallow river. Yet they carry all kinds of this stuff. It's about as bad as wal-mart.

Venison - The other fast food
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:27 PM

burn that place to the ground! I'll get the pitchforks

Wampire - going harder, longer and deeper since 1984.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I went to get torches and pitchforks, but they said the ones that were advertised weren't available. Then they tried sell me another pitchfork that did dn't have night sights or an ambidextrous safety for the same price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page