Info/Questions about the 250 savage - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Info/Questions about the 250 savage

I have been looking for a gun to buy for my son as a good starter rifle to shoot and then eventually hunt with. Ive read that this caliber has extremely low recoil which would be ideal for him as a starter gun. Im intrested if anyone does or has used this caliber on deer and what there opinions and results are. Also I do not reload so I am limited to factory ammo which I have saw is extremely limited. I am looking at the savage model 14 american classic. I myself have a 243 and a 257 roberts but feel from reading the 250 would would be a better first gun for a young shooter( 8yr old). He has been shooting a 22 for 2 years now and is ready for the centerfire experience and itching to go deer hunting, and I think Im more excited than he is, actually I know for a fact I am. Eventually I will give him the Roberts when the time is right but for now the 250 Savage seems to fit the bill. This is why Im asking for your experieriences with this caliber and its performance on deer. Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Info/Questions about the 250 savage

Sounds like dad want's a new gun
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned

No, dad has plenty but dad WILL defenitly give it a few test fires. Lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Was'nt the 250 Savage a replacement for the 220 Swift?

Hunt with your kids not for them.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Location: Emigsville, York Co.; McCarroll Corner, Sullivan Co.

I started my nephews out on my Ruger 77 UL in .250 Sav. and it worked out pretty good for them. I'm not sure that there is that much difference between the .250 and the .243 and .250 ammo can be hard to find. I know a few old timer that have gone back to their Savage 99's in .250 Sav. It would definitely be a good round for him to use for deer just be sure to use a bullet designed for deer(I liked the 100 gr. Winchester).

GKMAC - you might be thinking of the .22-250 (.250 case necked down to .22).
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Part of the Community

buy it you won't go wrong great cal.100grain silver tips great on deer he will love it The 25cal. you eather love them or hate them
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 10:41 PM

I had a friend that used one,an older guy,now passed.Every deer he shot died in one shot.There were quite a few deer shot by him.I wish I had his gun.Even if just for the memories of him.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nope. The 22-250, for years just a wildcat, caught and passed the Swift many years ago. The Swift is still a barn burner, just faded like so many others of its day. The 250 Savage was the first deer hunting round to advertise 3000 FPS, and was initially called the 250-3000. They are a sweetheart in a Savage 99, and an extremely rare and collectable in a Pre-64 Winchester 70.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

250 savage in a savage american classic would be a good gun for anybody. the recoil difference between it and a 243 in the same gun would be negligible though. ammo availability now and especially in the future would be limited. if you're set on the savage, i'd get it in a 308 and use the limited recoil ammo until he can handle the full power loads.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 11:04 PM

I have a .250 savage model 99 as my first gun handed down from dad. I shot 87 grain reloads on deer and the bullet normally lays just under the opposite side hide. Most deer barely take a step beyond the shooting point and I believe it is because the bullet spends all its energy in the body and not the ground beyond. Drives tacks at 100 yards but is marginal on poor shots as is any small caliber. I have shot a ton of deer with it and also a mule deer in Utah. Lung shot at about 150 yards dropped the mule deer in about 50 yards.

Factor ammo is not very accessible and the recoil is very similar if not identical to a .243 or 6mm which I have also shot a lot. Performance is also much the same as the .243 and 6mm. I started my daughter out on a .223 and did not regret it. Lighter recoil and also extremely accurate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page