Buying a new gun safe - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Buying a new gun safe

I've begun the process of researching gun safes. Like most of us, I plan on buying one safe to last me the rest of my life. None of my guns (individually) are "collector type value", but I want to be able to store a combination of rifles, shotguns (maybe 20 total), some handguns, ammo, documents, etc. Size wise I'm probably looking at something about 39" wide. And based on where I live, where I'm putting it, etc., I believe I need a two hour fire rating. I'm learning about relockers, how to bolt them securely, dehumidifiers, etc. I'm more about function than how it looks, so I'm not going to pay for "great looking paint", etc. How about everyone giving their two cents worth on something that will probably cost me about two grand? Do you like "ez access" (u shape) or the individual type storage? Did you move it yourself? Did anyone order online? Electronic lock or manual lock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Buying a new gun safe

Reeses Warehouse in Smithfield PA. 40 minutes from Wasington at the most.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Grice Gun shop is where I got mine,Clearfield. Prob a little far for ya tho.
I got the American Security BF series mine was 1700.00 but you can spend a few grand on them if you want. American Security is one of the best made. http://amsecusa.com/Burglary_and_Fire/
Check them out you wont be disappointed! Very very nice and one of the best built. They are Not junkie or cheap! They have a Lifetime full replacement warranty if it burns up in a fire or if someone crowbars the door or trys to break into it.
Now a big thing people tend to forget about is the finish, I got the orange peal speckled finish so you don't see finger prints and dust and also if it gets nicked or scratched somehow you wont ever see it cuz it comes with touch up paint and its not like the clear gloss finish ones, if you scratch or nick them Good luck hiding that. Kinda like a scratch on the hood of a Red Corvette stands out like a sore thumb. I have the manual lock but if I could do it over again I would get the electronic they are sweet! Ill take a pic of mine and show ya later.

Fishing, Turkey Hunting, Shed Hunting, Archery Hunting yep that's it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

Buck - I'm with you and have been researching for a while. What I'm looking for is the largest safe with the best protection I can afford in the space that I plan on putting it in! I compared American Security, Browning, Cannon, Champion, Fort Knox, Liberty and Winchester. To my surprise, a lot of safes are made in Mexico or China! I want USA made! So, I have narrowed my search down to Browning, Champion and Fort Knox, favoring the Fort Knox! I plan on giving a final look at the Sportsmans Show and deciding then! The models I'm looking at are around 1200 lbs, so I need to take the cost of delivery and installation into condsideration. With that said, Fort Knox is slightly higher in price on the safe, but with no tax and a low cost of delivery and install, it's priced better than the others! If you're not going to the Show or want more information send me a PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 01:50 PM
The Man

Weight should be a consideration. If you are not planning on moving or don't want to move the safe later it's not a huge deal. But you have to consider if the place you want it can handle that much weight. Just something to think about.

For what it's worth I used to deliver appliances. The difference moving a cheap 200 pound fridgidare refrigerator is way different that moving a 500 pound Samsung. It was all two guys could do to move it.

Now double or triple the weight, and you have a serious handfull. Factor in the cost of delivery as there is no way one or two persons with no experiance or the right equipment can do it alone.

Venison - The other fast food
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

absolute first thing to do is MEASURE THE DOORS. yes!!! had to tear out a frame as we missed it by "that much."
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Part of the Community

I would look at how close togather the guns will be in any given safe, Bolt actions seem to take up more room in my safe. also think capacity!! Guns seem to multiply in dark safes!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 02:42 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehill
absolute first thing to do is MEASURE THE DOORS. yes!!! had to tear out a frame as we missed it by "that much."
What he said. Been down that road many times as well. Can't tell you the number of times someone only measured where they wanted something only to find out it wouldn't make the corner at the top/bottom of the steps.

What ever the cost is for delivery is worth it. Just pay it. I've tried to do what most would consider an easy install only to find out there are all kinds of issues. The people that do this for a living are used to it, and have the tools/know how to make things work. When I delivered refrigerators I could tear down the most complicated fridge to nothing is 5 minutes because I knew what to do. When I first started it would take me 30-40 minutes with lots of aggrivation. Then I would have to put it back together again..... Same with the door ways, stair landing, railings...list goes on.

Venison - The other fast food
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Banned

Get a larger one than you think you need. Scopes take up space and even though you may have 14 gun slots doesn't mean you can get 14 long guns in the safe. I have sold guns I didn't use anymore in order to get new ones in the safe and I would not have sold them otherwise.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

monroeville lock & safe sells liberties and deliver. they are not far from the mall on northern pike. i bought a liberty franklin that is 42x24x72. it is called a 48 gun. unless they are all single barrel shotguns, that is wishful thinking. you can get mid-thirties of mixed style. the safe weighs 1100 lbs and cost me $2k delivered and set up. gander has similiar ones for slightly cheaper but they are not as good fire rating and you are on your own for delivery.

My diploma is a DD Form 214

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page