Lever Action Rifle - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Lever Action Rifle

Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone owned a Henry 30-30 or 44 mag that could offer a review or recommendation. I love a traditional lever action gun and am interested in purchasing by this summer. I have my heart set on the Henry due to its appearance and from what I have heard of the smoothness of the action. I think the newer 44 mags have the barrels pre-bored to accept a scope mount, but I was planning on going with open sights anyway as where I hunt most shots would be 75 yds or less.

If anyone owns a Marlin or Winchester and could offer a personal comparison that would be cool too, but like I said I think I am set on a Henry, just not sure which caliber for certain.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Banned

Re: Lever Action Rifle

Thay are all good firearms made by reputable companiesm marlin is probably the most accurate with the right ammo because of the micro grooved rifleing. Since you said you are interested in, do you know that the Henry rifles are not in the same configuration as the origionals. The origionals loaded through the tubular magazine by moving a spring tab under the tube forward and compressing the spring, exposing an opening where the ammo went into the tube. The origionals also had no wooden for stock. If an exact replica is not mandatory there is nothing wrong with the Henry and it is all American made.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Sage

Should probably go to the Firearms forum, but there is another alternative to Henry, if price is a consideration.

Marlin and Winchester 44 mags are fairly expensive these days. I managed to find a mint, used M92 Winchester clone made in Brazil, at a decent price a few years back. And it is very accurate and well made.

Most were branded as Pumas, but now the Puma name has "gone" to Italy, while the other version is still made in Brazil. They are great rifles and fairly close to the original M92s.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

My Rossi Puma M92 44mag, is the sweetest little lever gun I ever handled. I like it so much that last week I found a harder to find 357mag at Gander Mt. and put it on layaway. The 44 shot jacketed bullet loads pretty well, but cast was another story. Mine has a bore diam. of .433 so had to order a special mold that would allow me to size at .434 to get excellent accuracy. Took a whitetail with it this year with a 280gr cast bullet, bang flop what else can I say?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 03:40 PM
NRA
Frequent Contributor

Can't go wrong with a Winchester. I wish I would have taken an old timers advice years ago and invested in buyinh up some Winchester rifles when I was younger.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

Yep can't ever go wrong with a winchester ,but have you priced one lately? Out of my range of my wallet.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 04:15 PM

I have a Puma in 44-40. It is a great handling copy of the 1892 Winchester. A very handy gun. Although sometimes I wish it was 45 colt instead of 44WCF

Marlins have good rifling for smokeless loads with jacketed or hard lead bullets. If you want to shoot black powder loads, the microgroove rifling isn't the best.

44WCF is a little weak for deer. The Puma was a bit rough in the action when I got it and it smoothed out alot after a couple hundred shots fired. Mine was made back around 1980. They are finished better today.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Sage

Fit/finish on my Puma is perfect, even has some decent looking wood on it. It was probably only a few years old when I bought it used? 24" octagon barrel, color case on the receiver, end cap and butt plate. Matte dark blue on everything else.

Would agree on the 44-40 being marginal for deer. I have an original M92 in 38-40 (24" round barrel) and have killed deer with it, but limited myself to shots under 50 yards. Shame, because that old beauty is a tack driver w/180gr factory loads.

The 44 mag, on the other hand, is quite a bit more potent than the old 44-40.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

my son has hunted with a winchester 94 trapper for 14 years in 45 colt. we have always reloaded for it and are shooting 200 grain jhp at around 1800 fps out of it. when you here him shoot, usually once, a deer is down, no tracking at all. awesome little gun. there are a bit pricey now days though.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 PM
The Man

I have a 1967 Winchester Model 94 top eject in 44 magnum and it is very accurate plus, well it's Model 94 !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page