22 rifle - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

22 rifle

any recommendations on a 22 rifle?? looking for something fairly compact and light...gotta be a repeater not a single shot...

looking for a trapline gun and coon hunting gun...both activities can be pretty "rough" on guns..carrying them all day (or nite) and setting them down, crawling through brush etc...

the cricket rifle would be perfect but i think they are all single shots...

buddy has a 9422..nice size but a bit heavy..personally rather have a detachable magazine opposed to a tube...

synthetic and stainless would probably be the most durable finish and stock...

not sure what my options are so figured id ask y'all..

was going to get a ruger single six for a trapline gun but that wont be a good thing to have when i need to ding a coon in the head 100+ft up threaded through the limbs..

pretty tough and demanding bill to fill i think...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 05:58 AM

Re: 22 rifle

Check out the Marlin XT-22SR.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xt/XT22.asp

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 09:14 AM

Why not consider any one of the old Remington 510 series? They don't make them like that anymore.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 AM

I'd go with a Marlin. They make some in 22 and 22mag with 7-shot mags as opposed to tubes. I like the tube magazine for carrying and not having to reload, but it's kind of a pain when you're in/out of a vehicle such as trapping though.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 12:52 PM
dce
Sage

I'd probably buy a ss,synthetic Marlin for that purpose.I've had probably 5 Marlin 22 and 22 mags over the years.Everyone was accurate and reliable.Currently,I have a CZ American and it's extremely accurate but it's blued and wood which I'm not crazy about.For the money and for what you want,a Marlin would tough to beat.

Don't even consider a cricket.I bought one for my 6 year old and it's great for him but nearly impossible for me to shoot.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 12:54 PM
The Man

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...gonew=1#UNREAD

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 12:57 PM
dce
Sage

Geez,I almost forgot.Look at a Ruger 77/22 in stainless with a synthetic stock.I have one in a 22 mag and use it all the time.It's short,extremely light and shoots good.I didn't like the shiny ss so I had a black teflon finsih baked on.They have a removeable rotary magazine that's handy if you have to unload often.For a little more money,I'd probably lean towards the Ruger.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:05 PM

I have a savage mark II accurate 10rnd detachable mags can usually get them new with the accu-trigger for around $220

Patience is Wisdom and Vice Versa
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for the input guys! I will look into them...

I have a marlin 25 now...love it...but, was given to me on my 12th birthday...its starting to get beat up a bit...I rather not beat it up...I rather pass that one down some day...

I looked at 100-200$ or so savages and marlins and man are they built like junk....I know the rifle is going to take major use from me.....but I'm the kinda guy that rather have quality...

I REALLY wish the remington pump 22s had a removable magazine! I love them rifles....might end up with one and "live" with the tubular magazine....but like Jason said, that becomes a pain when your in and out of the truck all the time....

Wish PA considered a gun to be unloaded when there was no live round in the chamber....

"Make the first shot count" and get a single shot is a nice thought....but, whoever says that ain't ever been coon hunting...just last nite I had a good example of one that needed more than 1 shot and quick..all I could see was the shoulder area....they usually climb or jump out of the tree with anythiing but a headshot...jumping down and beating up my dogs is never good...climbing into a den is a waste of a good coon....so, a quick follow up is mandatory....most times not needed...but, when it is, its real nice to have...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 05:06 PM

Too bad you can't use a 10/22 here!

With a tube you don't have to load it full if you're just checking traps of course. For coon hunting though as long as you aren't in/out all the time(I assume there's a fair amount of time spent running/crawling to dogs?) a tube probably isn't that bad. More of a pain to load than unload....just pull the spring rod and dump after emptying the chamber.

Maybe a Henry or Marlin lever gun if you want something nicer? But really, for beating the bush with it I thin stainless/synthetic would be ideal.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page