AR Scope....... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

AR Scope.......

Here is a question for the AR/.223/5.56 guys. I'm looking for a scope/optics to put on my S&W AR-15, so far the only sites on my AR is Yankee Hill BUIS's. Im looking for a good/reliable optics that are good up to 100-200 yards and I am looking to spend around 200 bucks for it. Nothing fancy like ACOG or Holo because of the $$, I cant justify spending that kind of cash when I dont shoot my AR that often.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 PM
The Man

Re: AR Scope.......

If you don't want to spring for a Aimpoint, Eotech, ACOG, etc you could go with a Primary Arms red dot? I have a Primary Arms on my S&W 15-22 and it's done it's job. Do I trust it as much as my Aimpoint Pro, no - but it hasn't failed.

As for other scopes I haven't ever used anything but a red dot on my AR's, so not much help.

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Part of the Community

I also have been happy with Primary Arms stuff. You can get their 1-4x with a mount bundle on their site. I just picked up the compact 3x prismatic. It is a copy of the Burris 3x, but for a good deal less green. I haven't had much chance to wring it out yet.

Also, the Nikon p-223 scopes are new and designed specifically as a 5.56 AR-platform optic. There is a fixed 3x and 3-9x available.

Whatever you decide, a QD mount is something I would recommend, so you can access the irons if needed/ when desired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 05:46 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdart
Whatever you decide, a QD mount is something I would recommend, so you can access the irons if needed/ when desired.
I suspect if my optic is to fail it's the battery, and since my guns are co witnessed I see no need for the QD mount. If I was an operator (LEO, Military, Contractor, etc) and really really used my weapon and had a chance of shattering the lens or something I would look into the QD mount.

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
I suspect if my optic is to fail it's the battery, and since my guns are co witnessed I see no need for the QD mount. If I was an operator (LEO, Military, Contractor, etc) and really really used my weapon and had a chance of shattering the lens or something I would look into the QD mount.
1) Co-witnessing with magnified optics ; which are the types I was referencing...

2) a scope in the 1-200 dollar range can easily fail if dropped or bumped hard while in the field; things happen, and a gun with BUIS deployed is better than a gun with a busted scope in the way. [Obviously I understand that in PA the gun won't be used for hunting, but the point remains]

3) I like to shoot with the irons to keep a level of proficiency, so a repeatable QD mount is something I find worth the money to have on my AR platform.

If we are talking non-magnified optics, then I concede that the need for the QD is significantly reduced.

Again, though, I would recommend Primary Arms in that price range. I have also been pleased with their small red dot that is a clone of the Aimpoint micros. They sell one with an AR-riser mount.

Vortex is another well-received brand with a great warranty/customer service policy if ever needed. They sell a red dot optic called the SPARC. My only personal experience with Vortex pertains to the Viper line of magnified optics, which is out of the OP's specified price range.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

You can use any scope you like on it.
A lot of people like 1-4X variables on carbines.
If you want a dot site, there are many options as well.
Bushnell makes an Eotech copy in that price range.
There is "no recoil" to speak of so any reflex type site will work.

The "<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">repeatable</span></span>" QD mount will cost $200.
So while I would go with a scope, that will pretty much take your irons out of practical use.
If you want to co-witness and have the option of using both, that pretty much leaves the reflex type sights.
I'd look at the bushnell if that is the case. I'm told it is the same as the Eotech without the protective shroud.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Is there any real durability difference between the low end "tactical" and just regular scopes?

I'm not talking turrets calibrated to bullet drop or ranging reticals. Just whether or not a $400 tactical scope is made to higher standard that would make it with stand a shock that another scope designed for hunting could not.

I am thinking of putting either a 2-7x burris FFII or a 2-7X redfield accurange on my Stag carbine. I will use a quik detach Burris mount or the one from Primary Arms.

Is Primary Arms 1-4x any good? Is it from China?

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 05:12 PM
The Man

The difference is in the durability. For instance, the Leupold Mark 4 scopes are made with the same glass that the VX-3 line is made with, but the internals are much more shock resistant and tougher on that scope. Plus they put them in a 30mm tube which is also much more stoudt than the regular 1" tubes. If you aren't going out and saving lives with your gun then you really don't need a high end bulletproof scope. For your application you would be just fine with the regular hunting type scopes. I do have Redfields if you are interested. Just let me know. Good luck with whatever you choose.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

...but is that where the line is? With the Mark 4, as that is $900 dollar and up scope. Granted you can spend more on a Schmidt or Premier or even a Mark 8.

Is the Mark AR any more durable, or the Burris TAC stuff.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 PM
The Man

No, actually the Mark AR scope is just a VX-2 with a little different styling to it. You can also get it with the turrets to compensate for drop. The lenses are exactly the same as the VX-2 and the internals are exactly the same as well. Ultimately you get a VX-2 with target turrets, and a tactile, rubberish power adjustment knob. I'm not really sure exactly where I would say the line exists, but I do know that the quality line is pretty high in price when it comes to tactical optics. Hope this helps.

Mac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page