Ruger M77 Compact??'s - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Ruger M77 Compact??'s

Whose got one?? I'm looking for pro's and con's on these. I would most likely purchase in .243 or 7-08
unless I can find one in .260

Does the 16.5" barrel have a noticable effect on accuracy, muzzle blast, felt recoil??

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Banned

Re: Ruger M77 Compact??'s

if your looking specifically for the 260 caliber look at the savage 11 leightweight hunter at 5.5 lbs with a 20in barrel. I myself am getting ready to pull the trigger on that one myself here very soon. My buddy has one and boy what a dandy little rifle it is. Great for a walk around still hunting gun. Also the Remington Model 7 CDL and Synthetic come in the 260 as well although I dont prefer remington. No 260's in the ruger so thats why i just responded regarding available compact leightweights in that specific caliber as you stated you were intrested in that great little caliber. Hope this helps. Budsgunsshop has the savage 11 currently for just over $700 and if you have a good dealer like I do you can probaly get it a little cheaper.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Ruger chambered the 260 in the compact a few years back, I still see one pop up every now and then.

I have seen the Savage Lightweights but never held one. Might be something to look at? I've looked at the Model 7's but they are so darn expensive anymore, I much prefer wood and blued to the synthetics as well.

Bottom line is I found a couple of NIB Ruger Compacts, one in 243 the other a 7-08 that I can snag for right around the $500 mark. I surely don't need one, but with 2 young hunters in my house and 3 nephews that will soon be hitting the woods it gives me an excuse to buy Just a little concerned about recoil and muzzle blast in the 7-08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:08 PM
RB
Sage

My wife has one as seen here in 7mm-08 and we absolutely love it for her and I think it is a great choice for a smaller hunter.

It drives tacks using Rem CoreLokt 120 or 140 gr (we use 140 for deer, but 120 will group in the very same holes at 100 yds). I think the barrel is 19" on ours we bought as soon as they were produced, but I could be mistaken. It is dead-on for PA hunting distances, but I never tried it out over 125-150 yards so not sure beyond that.

As light and compact as they get without a mule kick. One word of caution is that if you use a full size scope, mounted regular (like my wife's is), and are a big guy the scope may bite ya in the eye on the bench as the stock is small..again great for the smaller hunter, needs considerations for someone bigger.

Truthfully I think it would be a great deer driver/mountain hunter rifle for anyone, if they topped it with a compact scope or set the scope forward a little.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:14 PM
dce
Sage

My buddy has a .243 that his kids use and he likes it.There's a shop up the road from me and I'm almost positive he has two sitting on his shelf,one is a .260.

I'd be hesitant to buy one if you plan on using it yourself.They're really geared towards smaller hunters.I find them uncomfortable to shoulder.

I was at grice gun shop this weekend looking for a compact rifle for my son.I was glad to see they have a new comapct model 7.I liked the synthetic stock on it and they had it priced at $545.The ruger's were over $600.

The week my son was born I went out and bought him a new Kimber Montanna in .308.I used it exclusively the last several years and he's not getting it now lol.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 02:04 PM
Regular Visitor

I had one in 7mm-08 and liked it a lot. I traded it off b/c I'm not a big bolt action fan. It was super accurate with hornady ammo, took 4 deer with it, killed like lightning except for 1. Muzzle blast was not excessive, recoil was very manageable. Great gun to tote around all day and quick to point on target. It comes with a 16.5 inch barrel, I highly recommend one.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 02:23 PM

These made these in .358 Win for awhile, but I imagine
the recoil would be pretty stout.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Regular Visitor

I have one in 6.8 spc.its a super accurate rifle,only thing the thin barrel heats up fast {no biggie when hunting }it has a nice trigger,and mine it set up with a compact 2x7 scope.super light,quick handling,nice little rifle.I'm 6'4 and added a recoil pad to add length to the butt stock,my boy is 6' and he liked it the way it came.check around I picked mine up on gun broker new for $535.gun gennie is another good place to look
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks everyone for the input, think I may stop on the way home

Both my kids shoot .243's with no issue, I'd just like something that will fit them a little better. Then, if and when I talk my wife into sitting in the stand with me she has a nice short rifle to carry as well!!!

I figure a 2-7x Revolution will sit on top

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

7mm-08s rarely have any kick out of any rifle...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in