Remington 700 308 heavy barrel - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Remington 700 308 heavy barrel

I currently have a remmy 700 SA 308 with a sporter barrel. I want to put a varmit or heavy barrel on it. is there a difference in heavy and varmit contours? I know I will have to put a different stock on it, which is ok, I already have that lined up! I also want it to be shorter than it currently is, which is 24 inches. Is there a drawback to a shorter barrel other than velocity? I am looking to make this my "kill everything" gun. I hand loads so price of ammo isnt that big of a deal for me. I want to be very proficiant at long range shooting with it. Should I try to get a factory varmit barrel of a custom E.R. Shaw barrel? any input would be greatly appriciated! Thanks

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Remington 700 308 heavy barrel

kill everthing rifle? heavy barrels are HEAVY. keep in mind humping over hill and dale with a heavy barrel. what is "long" range to you? at 1000 yards that short barrel velocity may be the difference between a bullet going subsonic or not. many bullets become unstable at this point. if 600 is "long" range to you then no real effect will be seen. definitions mean everything. personally when hunting, weight is important along with a center hit from a cold barrel. to each his own however. ps. in most circumstances a 308 is a marginal 1000 yd (long range) gun. far better choices available.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 11:12 PM
The Man

I surely wouldn't want a heavy barrel on my everyday gun. That would real old real quik. Where the first shot through a cold barrel hits is most important.

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i have a remmy sps tactical with the heavy barrel. I have carried around, and its not too bad heavy wise, not the lightest but reasonable. The 20 inch barrel is nice and perfect for the 308. round.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:09 AM

BIG WASTE OF TIME AND YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY!! If you want to play in the big dog game it takes cash, custom actions and work by real gunsmiths..CASH and more cash... stick with what you have and you'll be better off or get prepared to start from scratch with lots of cash..
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:14 PM

IMO it's like buildin a Hot Rod. More for your own enjoyment. Along with that it's your rifle, a stretch of you. Money wise to semi-custom a factory your lookin at about $1800.00 without glass. Add glass about $5-800.00, all in all your about 2X the factory rifle. One other thing you can pay as you go, do smith work, stock work, scope and mounts. Have fun it's a blast....later
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

For me, the weight is not an issue. I hunt out of a stand, so I won't have to lug it around very much. Also my definition of long range is inside 500 yards. No where do I hunt that I have a longer shot. I don't want to compete with it, just be able to be reach out there and smack something. I am thinking of just a varmint barrel and a new stock. It already has glass for now. It I will upgrade that later. I don't feel it's a waste of money when it is a gun I will have forever. My dad bought it for me as a always remember dad type of gun. I want to make it a gun I will use for everything. I'm just asking for some advise on what to do with it. I don't see it as a waste of money. And I won't pay custom rifle prices. I can't afford it and I just want something a little supped up. Thanks for any input. I Contacted E R Shaw about a barrel for it. Waiting on a email back.

Bob
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If you're set on a barrel, give Jim Briggs of Northland Shooters Supply a call. He stocks Pre-Fit Remington barrels that utilize a savage-style barrel nut (the horror!). These are now being made by Criterion (division of Krieger). For about $300 total, he'll set you up with the barrel of length and contour you want, in stainless, along with a barrel nut to match. He will also recommend a thicker recoil lug while you're at it, and it'll be another $30 bucks or so. You will need a savage barrel nut wrench, and either a barrel vise or action wrench as well.

I bought one of his 26" Varmint in 6BR last year. They were manf by McGowan then. I couldn't be happier with it. Guess I got one of the good ones.

That being said, I believe you'd be further ahead to start by getting into handloading (if not already) and work up a great custom fit to your gun match load. look at 168 or 175gr matchkings, as they are a great value for the money, and fairly easy to get shooting well. Varget, RL15, or IMR4064 will be your friend powder wise.

Good glass that not only holds a zero, but has accurate and dependable adjustments is a must. Leupold, Bushnell Elite, Sightron SII and up... etc. And if you spend money on good glass, don't skimp on the rings and bases.

After reloading, and glass... then trigger. Shilen or Timney will drop right in and be good to go pretty much out of the box. It doesn't need to be ultra light, just consistent.

After all that, then i'd take a good look at the stock and bedding. And finally, after all that... then the barrel. Honestly, thats the order I'd approach it, and I think where you'd get the most bang for your buck. You can never go wrong with a quality barrel, but unless your factory remington has a very high round count, or damage from neglect or abuse, I think you may be shocked to see how good it will do for you at the ranges you have listed.

Good luck with the project! I'm a big fan of making a rifle "custom" to you, no matter the path you decide to take.

NRA Member
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Here's what I have so far. A Remington 700 adl 308 bone stock with x mark trigger. Trigger is a bit heavy and can be adjusted. It has zero creep or take up. I like it enough to keep it. The stock I am getting has an aluminum bedding block in it already. Factory barrel contour. I also have a 4-12x44 center point scope that works just find. I hand load 155 gr a-max over 44 grains of varget. It's shoots great I just want a heavy barrel on it and a new stock. I think it would be perfect for my needs once those are accomplished. The reason for the heavy barrel is I have a TC pro hunter with 28" fluted barrels and they shoot great and don't heat up. Plus I really like the look of heavy barrels. My goal is to make a shoot everything gun, so that I know where it hits every time and I am extremely good with it. My dad got me the foundation and I want to make it a bit better. The scope will get changed out by deer season this year with a nicer scope.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:27 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

sounds like you are on the right track. here's the link for Jim Briggs:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,25549.0.html

you may need to create a free login on savage shooters to view the thread.

the advantage of this over Shaw would be no need for a gunsmith, or trying to hand finish ream a short chambered barrel. plus the Criterion barrels are gaining a very good reputation for their consistency and accuracy.

BTW, I had at first emailed Shaw too, when shopping for my barrel. Never got a reply. May serve you better to call them if you still want to go that route.

NRA Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page