what is "accurate?" - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

what is "accurate?"

this word is used (missused?) on a regular basis. what does it mean? does it really have a way to quantify? what is "accurate" to me might not be to you. is a 3 shot group a good measurement? 5? 10? 50? at what distance? 50 yards? 100? 300? 600? just how important is it to the average hunter or shooter? to a hunter does group size matter? or is that first shot out of a cold barrel the only real test? just some things to ponder on "what is accurate?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: what is "accurate?"

yeah you are right overthehill, it depends on the person or what they need for accuracy. I have had some custom built long range guns so for those with hand loads if I am shooting 100 yds to have it "dialed in" and the 5 shots arent touching in the bull I am not happy...if I am shooting my brush gun that I probably am not going to shoot over 100 yds in the mountain and more likey 30 to 60yds while hunting a 1- 2 inch group works.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

Good post overthehill, for me accuracy from a hunting stand point means hitting what I am shooting at, where I wanted to hit it. As far as putting holes in paper, I get pretty obsessed in making the best group my gun produce. It took me a couple of years to finally become happy with my load in my groundhog gun. It's producing a 5 shot group under .45 of a inch at a 100yds. Thats about as good as I can make it shoot. Tried many different load combos and that's the best. Now my deer rifle accuracy is 1 inch at 100. I don't even load for it. I'm happy with the factory, cheapo, ammo. It's always worked well for me, and I don't hunt deer enough to really go crazy with making up a load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Banned

If a big game rifle will put 5 shots into an inch and a half I deem it to be accurate.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

Great post, I have no input for you but it helps to get a good grasp on what I need to look for you know.

Ryan.

Killin' and grillin'
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticker
yeah you are right overthehill, it depends on the person or what they need for accuracy. I have had some custom built long range guns so for those with hand loads if I am shooting 100 yds to have it "dialed in" and the 5 shots arent touching in the bull I am not happy...if I am shooting my brush gun that I probably am not going to shoot over 100 yds in the mountain and more likey 30 to 60yds while hunting a 1- 2 inch group works.

Actually a 1-2" group will take care of business on deer way out past 100 yards. A 4" gun will handle sub 100 yard shooting with aplomb.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

folks; i work at a gunshop. i hear how "accurate" this or that all day long. i has become "meaningless" to me. wanted to get feeling from others what it means to them. keep it coming! ps. i try to hold the 10 ring of the 600 yard f class target. about 1 moa. do it about 94 percent of time. goal is .75moa at 1000 yds. by f t/r standards i am ok, by benchrest standards i am awful. by hunters standards i am???
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Part of the Community

I think that what is acceptable accuracy depends somewhat on what size of animal you intend on shooting. Onbviouslt the kill zone ov a prarrie dog is a lot smaller than that of a deer. That said, my personal standars is less than 1 1/2 inch at 100 yards for a three shot group. I see no point in shooting mora than three shots with a big game hunting rifle, as I most probably will not shoot three shots. Also after three shots the barrel heats up and the the point of impact well begin to shift with many rifles. I really like to establish accuracy in my rifles based on the first shot from a clean, cold barrel.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

For me it's less group size as most sound rifles can be coaxed into .5"-1 3/4" three shot groups provided a decent bbl./bedding/scope/load. At the upper end that's more then enough for deer and such and at the lower end it's more then most varmint shooters can take advantage of in the field. Having said that, what makes an accurate rifle "accurate" to me is one that fits the above criteria and<span style="font-weight: bold"> doesn't shift point of impact</span> from year to year. That makes for a deadly outfit and there are few rifles that'll do that year after year. Find one and you've got a gem.

Muab Dib

"There is no District 12"
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

these days with modern guns accuracy is usually a function of the shooter rather than the gun. i am a decent shooter with bifocals that limit by vision so i am happy with 2" groups at 100 yards with a scope and a decent trigger. 95% of my shooting is done at 50 yards in my backyard though and for that i want 1" 3 shot group measured center-to-center on the holes.

My diploma is a DD Form 214

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page