17 fireball or 17 hornet - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

17 fireball or 17 hornet

Looking for input on the these two loads. I have done a lot of research and just wanted to see if anyone has some personal opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Sage

Re: 17 fireball or 17 hornet

I shoot a 17 Rem and I am very happy with it.
I am sure those 2 choices would be just as fun.
Other than all the specialty cleaning equipment they are a blast. Only advice I can give is don't skimp on the reloading dies. Pinched fingers and crushed cases result.
I have a 3 die set from RCBS but I forget the set name its been so long.....Pro series maybe?

White House moves to ban shredded cheese...Wants to make America grate again.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 01:32 AM

I have 2 .17 fireballs and love both of them for groundshogs, fox, and coyotes. 700 SPS Rem and TC Encore. I don't have any experience with the hornet. Many guys have and love the wildcat .17 AH but Hornady just came out with their own version, the .17 Hornady Hornet as a factory load. I think the Savage Model 25 is the only factory rifle in current prodction to shoot it. The .17's are really fun calibers.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:12 AM
The Man

go to saubier.com....its members are the Internet authorities on little .17s....also, Todd Kindler at the Woodchuck Den is most helpful....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:24 PM

I have both...well I have the 17 Ackley Hornet, not the new 17 Hornet Hornady's promoting, although there's not much differnece.

The 17FB has become my favorite fox/groundhog rifle. I shoot nothing but handloads and the Berger 25 gr MATCH HP flies about 3850 fps and is super accurate. I sight in 1.5" high at 100 and hold dead on to 300. I have the 700 SPS.

The 17AH is different. It's a Contender in a 10 twist and it won't shoot the 25 gr bullets. I shoot the 20 gr Vmax in it and it's pushing them about 3600 fps without trying to hot rod it. It's quite effective to about 250 yards.

The trouble with the 17's is most bullets are too explosive. Guys get lots of "splash" and blow ups on entrance. For predators you need to stay away from Vmax's...period. Use a good HP like Berger or Hornady and you'll have quick kills and hardly find an entrance with NO exit (usually). Stick with the VMax when you WANT to blow stuff up..like prairie dogs/starlings. Also, the light 17's are effected by the wind, so past 300 you really need to know what's going on out there to dope things right.

bownut
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:41 PM

Wanted to add. The 17 fireball is easy to load for. I've had good luck with just about everything I've put through it. The 17AH is a little trickier. You have to form and fireform. Depending on if you reload or not, that might help you decide. Also word is the 17FB is being discontinued by Remington, so if you get one you'll either have to stock up on loaded ammo or learn to load. The easy alternative is to wait for Hornady to bring out the 17 Hornet, and get that. Word is Savage is rolling out 3 new model 25 rifles this year. Ruger is rumored yo be bringing out a 77/17 hornet NEXT year...maybe Czech too. Have to see how the new round takes off
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information guys. I too have heard that the 17 FB is being discontinued, I do know how to reload and am planning on doing after I run some factory loads through it. Remington makes a 25 grain hollow point and hear that is a great load for it. Will buy 100 rounds of that and use the brass to reload. Thanks agian guys and happy shooting.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 01:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good question. I am torn between a 17 fireball, a .22 hornet and a .223. I am leaning toward a .223 for the ubiquitous and inexpensive ammo but I worry it is too much for fox.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page