Factory Ammo Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Factory Ammo Question

I am looking into some of the factory ammo that is available for the 6.5x55 and was just wondering if anyone on here uses certain brands and what their results were as far as accuracy and performance on game was. I currently don't handload so that is not an option for me. I'd like to stick to the 140 grainers as Ive heard they shoot the best but any advice is appreciated. I have a cz 550 american. Also I know that lapua and norma make rounds in the 155 to 160 grain area which are really more up to modernized pressures compared to american made ammo companies but how much of a difference in recoil will this produce if I were to use one of these rounds instead of weaker american round. I got this caliber for its known low recoil in the first place but still packing quite a punch on game with its great BC'S AND SD'S. I shoot a 243 and wanted something with a little more umphhh behind it and I hate the recoil on my 30-06. I hate recoil period. Im a recoil wuss and im not at all ashamed to say it. If I cant shoot my guns at the range effectivly to get them sighted in I have no confidence taking them into the woods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Factory Ammo Question

I tried winchester factory loads. They had a 140 gr power point. They shot ok, but I didn't care for them. Now I shoot home grown loads with 120 gr ballistic tips. I can't ask for more. My gun shoots bug hole groups, drops deer where they stand, and doesn't tear them up. I would suggest finding someone to load for you since you don't load yourself. JMO

You can't get em from the couch.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:55 AM

Well from one recoil wus to another, welcome to the world of the 6.5. I switched from the .243 to the .260 Rem (which is nearly identical to the 6.5x55 Swede) for the same reason. I shoot 120 gr. BT's which are terrific on deer. I'm pretty sure Hornady is loading their Superformance SST in the 6.5x55 in 140 gr. I'd check that out. Cabelas should list them.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 01:15 AM
The Man

An option for you that I have used for some of my rifles is to get some loaded up for you. I use this company: http://www.preciserifleammo.com Alan is good to work with and he can load you any combination you want. He also offers sample packs of 20 rounds with there being 4 different loadings in the pack for you to see which one shoots the best for you. Good luck!

Mac
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 01:16 AM
Frequent Contributor

Hornady superformance would be my pick. I shoot a 139 sst out of my 7mm mauser and it loves them . The deer however did not love them . Don't think you can go wrong with the hornady ammo.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:30 PM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

you go with the low recoil 3006 round too.

RIZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page