ITHACA MODEL 37 --- What's it Worth?????? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

ITHACA MODEL 37 --- What's it Worth??????

If there is anyone on here that might be able to shed some light on this situation I would appreciate any and all opinions on this matter.

I am considering selling a 1940 Ithaca Model 37 12 Guage Featherlight Shotgun that was given to me by my grandfather and was wondering what it might be worth. It is in very nice condition. Blueing is good to great and the stock and forend show no cracks but show some signs of use in the form of some dings in the wood but the finish on the wood is nice. Barrel and receiver are a matched set with identical serial #. Thanks in advance to all that offer some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:13 PM

Re: ITHACA MODEL 37 --- What's it Worth??????

I'd try $350-400 in that condition.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

$400 is tops and thats in a private sale. you sell it to a dealer and he'll give you about $175 if you're lucky. its worth more to keep it for future generations.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Actually, this topic makes me think about the whole subject of holding on to older guns.

I have come to the conclusion over the years that unless you have something really rare, and have appraisals that show extraordinary value, I say sell them and get something newer, or just hand them down to the kids and Grandkids for Christmas presents.

I guess since so many guns have been made over the years, and how much they have been demonized by our mindless society, values of guns in general have been stagnant.

Best regards, Glenn

Ain't no such thing as a "couldahad" with the bow"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

ya, i guess i over romanticize about guns sometimes. but i'm all about handing them down. i use my grandfathers model 12 that he bought in the 20's for fall turkey and my dads model 141 he bought in the 40's occasionally for deer. i have a lot more guns than my dad or granddad could ever imagine having and most are in my 401G as i call it and will be used to fund dentures and whatnot one of these days but some are destined for future generations.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Sage

Somebody in here was lookking for one receently
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 11:48 PM
The Man

My dad has one he bought right after he got home from WW2.We have used it from g/hogs ,rabbits,pheasants,deer.It is deadly accurate and you couldn,t buy it from us for a million bucks.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 01:27 AM

I have I bought in 1966 with my confirmation money, literally. The only shotgun I have ever owned other than my dad's model 12. Anyway I saw one just like mine in really good condition this past weekend in a gunshot and it was going for $225. I couldn't believe how cheap it was. I paid $100 for mine brand new.

Great gun, by the way and I just saw where they are making them again in Ohio.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 03:48 AM
Part of the Community

Around here NEPA they sell fore around 150. in exc. condition. Hold on to it they are great bird busters just remember the barrel nut is reverse thread. I have seen at least 10 with the nut stripped.

Jay
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

BTW, I have a Model 37 Super Deluxe Deerslayer that I bought new in 1963. I think I paid about $105 for it. For a short period of time back then, the Super Deluxe Deerslayer came with a rubber recoil pad, Williams Peep Sight, interchangeable Ithaca RayBar front blade in both smoke black and fluorescent, and a leather sling. Gun was also rumored to have a lighter trigger pull than a standard Model 37 but I never confirmed it. I do know it has a very crisp trigger with no creep.

Anyhow, that old smoothbore Deerslayer was incredibly accurate with plain old Foster type slugs. Many might not know that Ithaca bored the 12 guage .010 inches tighter than standard cylinder bore. The theory being a tighter gas seal for the slug. Better velocity and no "slug rattle" going down the barrel.

Whatever the intention, in my heyday, that Deerslayer was a deer killing machine at some amazing distances.

I used to take it with me as a backup gun back in the early 60's to Elk county. We used to rent a camp right near Mill Creek outside of Ridgway. There was a cluster of about 5 camps back then. There was a range at the camp area and on Sunday a lot of guys would be checking out the rifles. It was only about an 80 yard range.

One year a bunch of guys were shooting and I decided to have some fun.. I got the Ithaca out and asked them if they minded if I checked out the old "shotgun". They all looked at me like I was stupid but said with a smirk, sure go ahead.

I walked back about 10 yards farther than where everybody else had been shooting and they asked "What are you doing?" I said well, the gun is sighted in for a 100 yards so I need to get back a few steps..

That started the laughing and Bull comments and then the bets.. The bet was, I could knock down a beer can at that distance with the Ithaca. A couple of the mouthier guys said you're on!

Set the beer can up at the base of a dirt mound that was the range backstop. All I had to do was put that beer can on top of the old front sight of the Ithaca and slide that slug up through the dirt underneath the can which would launch the can up in the air about 6 feet. Piece of cake..

One year made enough in bets to pay for gas all week back then.. probably about $20.

Best regards, Glenn

Ain't no such thing as a "couldahad" with the bow"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page