Your thoughts on scopes... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Your thoughts on scopes...

Earlier in the year I bought a Marlin M77 Mark II 300win. I am getting ready to buy a scope for it soon and I must say that I am thinking hard about buying the Nikon Monarch 5x20x44 with the BDC recticles. I already have a 7mm with a 4x12x50 Leupold on it. For the most part I will be using this 300 for deer hunting locally but I also want it set up for long distance shooting in case I go out west again. What do you guys think. Is the 5x20x44 too much scope for my local PA deer hunting and what do you think about the BDC recticles. Any experieces or thoughts will be soaked in and appreaciated.

"When seconds count…the police are only minutes away”.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on scopes...

I have a few Nikons, great scopes but I really like the Shepherds I have for long distance shooting. Check them out. Good luck!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 PM

You get what you pay for. There ain't no such thing as free lunch and there ain't no such thing as a good cheap scope.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonHunter
Earlier in the year I bought a Marlin M77 Mark II 300win. I am getting ready to buy a scope for it soon and I must say that I am thinking hard about buying the Nikon Monarch 5x20x44 with the BDC recticles. I already have a 7mm with a 4x12x50 Leupold on it. For the most part I will be using this 300 for deer hunting locally but I also want it set up for long distance shooting in case I go out west again. What do you guys think. Is the 5x20x44 too much scope for my local PA deer hunting and what do you think about the BDC recticles. Any experieces or thoughts will be soaked in and appreaciated.
Personally I think the 5x20, the 4x12 and the 300 win are all to much for PA deer hunting.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have never used the Nikon with BDC so I wont comment on the reticle. I do not think 5x20 is to much scope. I have heard alot of people say that "you cant find your target", "all you will see are limbs/branches", ect. If you know how to shoulder your rifle properly you will find your target, and I like seeing the branches that I might not be able to pick up with a lower magnification scope. For me the higher magnification (over 12x) is really nice when you will be shooting over 200yds, and closer in certain situations. I feel that it really helps in being able to pick a spot on the animal, instead of the crosshairs covering up a large portion of the target. IMO the only drawback with the higher magnifiction scopes is their larger size/weight.

I also think that the 300win is a great all around caliber. It will do anything the other popular 30 calibers will, plus. If I was limited to one rifle the 300win would definetly be one of my considerations.

Good luck, Tony
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:09 PM

My buddy just purchased the 5x20 with BDC late last fall for his 22-250 groundhog rifle . The scope seems very clear. The adjustments seem spot on since he consistantly shot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds. He did'nt get much more use before the end of the season . So that's about all I have for you .
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

personal opinion on any of the "fancy" bdc, mildot, boone and crocket, etc. scope reticles. my eye/brain combination finds them too "busy" distracting me from concentrating on my target. trying to decide on which line or dot, what distance overwelms my feeble mind. i sight in aboout 2" high at 100 then just hold on the center of the kill zone at any distance i feel comfortable shooting at which is under 250.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:17 AM
The Man

Quote:
Marlin M77 Mark II
I didnt know Marlin made Model 77's

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 03:00 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Personally I think the 5-20 is to much scope. No need to spend the extra money a 4-16 will do more then you ever need. I had a 6-18 on a groundhog gun and when cranked to 18 even at 400 yards the groundhogs were more then big enough to make the shot. Thats just my 2 cents
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 03:15 AM
The Man

Im not a fan of bdc, boone crockett, vm. hunter, etc. If you get one read up on it real well. Dont think it will work on any gun because it wont. You must know your guns tradgectory ( however its spelled ) and find which hash rally works for your yardage. Learn how a scope works by understanding MOA " minute of angle " then you can buy any descent scope that tracks well and dial what you want.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page