760 project...need suggestions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

760 project...need suggestions

I picked up a 1957 vintage 760 30-06 last fall in a trade. The gun has been neglected. Surface rust was removed by a wire brush by a previous owner. I have decided to do a mild custom job on it. Montour County Rifles will be doing the work. I am looking for ideas from you guys on a new finish, stock, perhaps shorten the barrel, etc. Let me know your thoughts, and what you would not do. Yes, I have shot it, and it shoots an inch group, even though it looks like it was rode hard and put away wet.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:04 PM
New Arrival

Re: 760 project...need suggestions

My brother had 760 carbine in 308 like that. He pick it up for $50 bucks and never did anything with it for 10 years.

Four years ago he had it sandblasted which required a trip to the gunsmith to have the barrel and bolt removed. He then had it finished in a dull black paint that you bake on.

He put on Bell and Carlson synthetic stocks in black and topped it with Williams tru glo rifle sights. A black leather Montana sling and it was time to go hunting.

He named it "little blackie" and loves the way it carries. He killed two does with it but no bucks yet.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i'd chop the barrel to 18", get it cerakoted and probably do a synthetic stock with a set of talley scope mounts and a nice little scope. ideal all-weather brush gun. of course this would not be cheap and you would probably never get your money out of it but it would be a nice gun.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

CAMO all around from stock to scope.

MY GUN MY RIGHT !!!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

That sounds good! I have a new Ramline stock I got in a parts buy, do you know the going rate for a Cerakote job? I have had some georgeous bluing jobs done, but never one of the new finishes. Maybe i'll have it bored out to 35 and sell it to you ! LOL

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpgun
i'd chop the barrel to 18", get it cerakoted and probably do a synthetic stock with a set of talley scope mounts and a nice little scope. ideal all-weather brush gun. of course this would not be cheap and you would probably never get your money out of it but it would be a nice gun.
Now there's an idea!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:15 PM

How about a .358 Winchester carbine with a good all weather finish, quality compact scope, open sights, and quick detach rings.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:22 AM

looking for a cheap one myself to make into the ultimate driving rifle...

if im cutting a barrel though, its gunna be a shade longer than legal which is 16"..no sense in cutting a perfectly good barrel and stop half way! i realize you'll loose some velocity..but, that deer or bear aint gunna know he was hit by a bullet doing 2750fps not 2800fps..but, i want a gun to carry on drives in the thick nasty stuff..100yd shot would be about out of the question..

stock, synthetic would fare best for my use...but, i might go laminate..i just like wood stocks..

cant decide what i will do for sights...might go with a peep/ghost ring/holographic/red dot..cant decide on that yet lol..

id LOVE to find a 35 rem goin cheap...dont wanna spend money re-boring..but id like a 35 cal..

lots of things to do with the pumps...most guys dont do anything with em as they work just great as they are..

havent thought about the finish..but id need something durable..but it better be fairly cheap or it might be spray paint and i can redo it when it starts coming off lol..

i THINK 20ga 870 stocks fit but you'd have to read up on that i could be wrong...im looking for the gun before i start the build...

thats just what i personally want..though my 22" 760(0)s fare just fine as is..jumped my buck this year while pushing and dropped him at 10-15yds..he made it a leap out of his bed before i got the hammer dropped
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 02:34 AM

You can add a 6 position stock so very adjustable depending on how you are dressed. Collapse it down when you have to crawl on those nasty pushes. Just a thought.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 02:49 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have been looking for a cheap 06 or 308. My plans are to cut it down to 18 inches, bore it to either 338-06 or 358 depending on which 760 I find, cerakote it and camo dip a pistol grip synthic stock and top it with something like 1.5-5 leupold or the likes. Just a fun driving gun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page