Who here Loves their 760/7600? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Who here Loves their 760/7600?

18 years ago was my first time hunting and I remember it vividly, It was someting that struck a nerve and has been with me since. Once I became a bit older and began visiting numerous gun shops, spending countless days outdoors, reading this website and others, I observed something. The Remington pump rifle is a part of our PA deer hunting culture. Pennsylvania and the Remington Pump rifle subconciously register like Minnesota and Ice fishing.

Collectively, and historically we are a country hooked on bolt action rifles. While thier is nothing wrong with that, it seems refreshing that thier are still geographical pockets that hold on to certain ideals. The lever action (personal favorite) is extensively popular in PA, but is also popular in states like Texas, Wisconsin, Minnesota, the deep south and most of new england. I have always wondered why the Pump Rifle it is so popluar in PA?

My father has used one in 30-06 since the mid 70's, it remains his only deer rifle, my cousin as well, both have accounted for truckloads of venison. I see used ones in mom and pop gun stores, but "not for long" as one of the owners kindly told me, "awfully popular here in PA". Maybe it is our best kept secret. The newer ones have a free floated barell which is plenty accurate, lightning fast on a follow up shots, and are distincly a nice looking weapon (in my eyes). I find it satisfying that some of the best REAL hunters out there like the Benoits, Hal Blood, Berniers carry a remington pump rifle. If you dont know who they are, read up on them, its worth it.

This observation has brought me to pick up one of these rifles, I was lucky to stumble upon a like new 760 in 30-06, with a pristine bore. My goal on finding a carbine version was taking a bit longer than expected, so I'm having the barell shornented to 19', recoil pad installed, and one inch off of the stock. The gunsmith still has the rifle, so no pictures yet. Also got a nikon scope with low rings, sorry no see throughs, but its just my preferenbce. So this brings me to my question why is the remington pump rifle so popular in PA? Secondly who here loves 'em?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 06:48 PM

Re: Who here Loves their 760/7600?

Congrats hope the new rifle treats you well!

They are mighty popular here in PA...not sure why they are so popular here in particular....they are great woods rifles..easy to carry..fast handling...more accurate than most give em credit for...

Some states allow semi autos...some states don't allow rifles...

Just some reasons they are popular here...

Your right...many are good lookin rifles...the old BDL version is my favorite...that cheek piece makes the rifle awesome IMO...and the square forend rides sand bags very nice...not to mention the bluing on the BDLs..don't see bluing like that anymore...

I really love my pumps for PA hunting...right now I have 2..a 7600 satin finished 35 whelen and a 308 760 BDL..both have taken bucks the first year I've carried them...maybe they will continue the streak! Last year was my first of carrying a pump..won't go back for most my PA hunting...
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Keep your streak going!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hee hee, i hate those stinkin' remington pumps. just ask any of the guys on here who are sick of seeing my posts.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Banned

See thru mounts....Really?
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Sage

Delaware is a shotgun state and the 870 and now the H&R are the popular choices..
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

I traded a 7600 pump in a .270 several years ago. I'm still kicking myself for that. It shot better than most bolt guns I have seen. I did redeem myself today though. I finally found a 7600 chambered for the 35 whelen that I could afford. Now I need to decide on a scope for it.

You can't get em from the couch.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 10:33 PM

Way to go hawg, where did ya find one?

Alrighty then!
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Regular Visitor

I had a 35 whelen 7600,I had the barrel cut to 18.5 and williams fire sights with a peep,I shaved the montie carlo part of the stock off so when the the gun hit your shoulder the sights were dead on.know what I did I SOLD IT,every time I think about it I kick myself in the a$$.dumb,dumb,dump
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:07 PM

Miss my 760 Carbine 06 . In a fit of stupidity sold it. I have a 7600 , in .257 Rbts.,and love it because I can shoot it both right handed and lefty. Came in handy this year when a Buck came from the left of me. But, wish I had my 06 back....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page