Dual Purpose Scope for AR-15? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Dual Purpose Scope for AR-15?

Sorry to keep barraging the forum with gun questions but I came into a little spending money recently and haven't bought a gun in a while. I ordered the Smith and Wesson M&P 15 and I would like to set it up for some predator hunting (out of state where it is legal to use a semi-auto) but also for Rambo training .

It comes with a flat top and flip up sights but I will probably put a scope on it. I would like suggestions on what might work for close it "combat" work but also be able to reach out a couple hundred yards for coyote. Is there a scope that is a reasonable compromise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Dual Purpose Scope for AR-15?

The eotech's with the 3X magnifier, and the Leupold mark 4 CQT would work well.

Free Madcatter!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

your original post for "what rifle?" stated was 200 for yotes. then purchase a scope for predator hunting and rambo to your hearts content with the irons. a scope for one will be poor for the other and a compromise scope will be really good for neither. thats why a sniper team has one rifle for lr and one rifle for point defense. two very different requirements. but do what you want and enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thay's right, I would like something that would be accurate for coyotes out to 200 yards. A buddy suggested an ACOG 4x32. An eotech 3x or ACOG 4x are not accurate out to 200 yards?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

saying consider your target animal. a smallish german shepard, wary, good camo color, and making the most of cover. now go to a real 200 yards and try a 4 power scope. you tell me if it is enough for a good one shot kill. personally i believe not. remember most binoculars are 7x to 10x for general viewing. conversely set a man size target at 7, 10, 25 yards and tell me how good that 4x works. probably only see lotsa black with little idea where on target you are aiming. 4x works great for me on a 22 at 50 to 75. an "all-around" anything is usually marginal at everything.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You need to go on predator masters forum and ask your questions. Those guys hunt out west all the time with AR's and say the eotech works great out to 300 yards. Check out that site and ask around over there.

Free Madcatter!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have had a lot of personal experience with the Eotech, Aimpoint, and Acog on 14.5" barrels. With good ammo you will only be limited by the optic and your ability. Aimpoint is 4MOA, you probably don't want an 8" impact zone for yotes at 200yds? What model Eotech? Check the MOA. 2MOA gives you a 4" impact area at 200. ACOG...best of everything IMHO, instant acquisition in close and ability to really reach out...range estimation is easy...no batteries...great low light

11B30

SGT CARL J. MORGAIN KIA IRAQ 22 MAY 05
A CO 1/112 INF TF 2-7 US ARMY
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

2.5-8x36 VXIII
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallscity1
I have had a lot of personal experience with the Eotech, Aimpoint, and Acog on 14.5" barrels. With good ammo you will only be limited by the optic and your ability. Aimpoint is 4MOA, you probably don't want an 8" impact zone for yotes at 200yds? What model Eotech? Check the MOA. 2MOA gives you a 4" impact area at 200. ACOG...best of everything IMHO, instant acquisition in close and ability to really reach out...range estimation is easy...no batteries...great low light
11B30
Have you used the ACOG? It is decent at longer ranges? I don't expect a lot of 200 yard shots but 200 to 250 yards is about the longest, clear shot that I could realistically encounter on my property.

Also? Which reticle would you recommend on an ACOG?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 01:27 AM
The Man

I used the ACOG's in the Marines when we were testing the new rifles they were considering for the squad designated marksman program. It is a great scope and we were making center mass shots on silhouette targets out to 500 yards. They were great for making quick shots at decent ranges. The con to them is the price, they are pretty salty. I don't list then on my website, but I can get my hands on the Leupold Mark AR line of scopes specifically designed for your rifle. They have the 1.5-4x20mm and the 3-9x40 in the regular and in the target turret model. These will be great for you and they are way less than half the price of an ACOG. I can also get the Leupold Mark 4's as well. If you or anyone's interested shoot me a PM to discuss it some more, I'm pretty sure I can beat any price on these you can find on the web. Good luck with whichever one you pick!

Mac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page