Rem M770 issues - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Rem M770 issues

I wanted to pick up a spare rifle for my nephew to use this past deer season. Since I have mainly Remington rifles, 700s and 7s I figured on getting a used M770 which I picked up used. It was stainless and synthetic camo stock. We shot it about a dozen times prior to the opener at the range and it shot nice groups but action was nowhere as smooth as my other remington's. I thought I would put a slightly better scope on it this past weekend and while sighting it in, I noticed it was jamming quite a bit and also had issues lifting the bolt to eject the round. I'm not sure if that is a sign of something wrong with the bolt itself or something worse. I bought this gun knowing it would only be used sparingly by some friends and family, but I don't want anyone getting hurt if it's potentially a pressure problem within the make up of the gun. If anyone else experienced these issues I'd like to know what you did to corect them if it was at all possible. As always, thanks for the feedback.

Watch your top knot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM

Re: Rem M770 issues

did you change bases/screws? Perhaps your screws are too long, and are hitting the bolt inside the receiver. Take the scope and bases off, if jam goes away you know it was the screws.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

No I did not and I checked the chamber by running my finder along the underside of the top and nothing sticking out that would impede the action of the bolt.

Watch your top knot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Regular Visitor

are you shooting reloads or factory ammo,are the primers flattened ? if their reloads whats fine for 1 gun might be to much for another due to slightly different chambers/barrels ect. does it work easily with a empty chamber ? I had a m-700 243 and if I over tightened the action screws the bolt would bind { flex the action }I ended up glass bedding the action.I also rebarred to 358,but thats getting off topic :}
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 04:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing
No I did not and I checked the chamber by running my finder along the underside of the top and nothing sticking out that would impede the action of the bolt.
Like Wells just said, it could be the ammo factory or otherwise.

If its factory ammo is it the same manufacture and lot?

Issues like this are tough to diagnose long distance. You say its jamming, but how? Chambering, extraction or both? In the absence of any pressure signs it could be something as simple as a dirt/crud buildup in the lug recesses or an ejector not retracting flush with the bolt face. Both tend to shorten the bolt face to cartridge length.

Hard chambering or extraction individually indicate other conditions.

Like I say, its tough determining whats happening without having it on the bench. Worst case, pay a visit to your local gun wrecker(smith) and have it checked out. Now is a good time, most wait until the day before they need them!

Bill
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:17 PM
New Arrival

Reading this post, I had to chime in. I won one of these in a raffle, when they were called the Rem. 710. I shot many deer with it, in spite of the cheap Bushnell optics on it, was VERY accurate and reliable! However, the action was very sloppy and mostly ALWAYS jammed if I needed to take a follow up shot. I just chalked it up to a cheaper "economy package" rifle..I sold it after 3 years due to this. I know 2 others who purchased this gun and it operated the same way....very sloppy action; just my opinion but I think you are reading into this way too much...have a nice weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page