Do you really get what you pay for?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Do you really get what you pay for??

I'm just wondering since I;ll be on the market for a scope for a rifle, do you really get what you pay for?? I dont really get the difference in a thousand dollar scope vs a scope that costs 1/10th that.... Just wondering what the real difference is?

Thanks

Ryan.

Killin' and grillin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do you really get what you pay for??

Piece of mind.Buy quality and you only cry once.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is nothing more important than the optics. The general rule used by gun nuts everywhere is the scope should cost as much as the gun. Do you really need premium optics for a few days hunting in PA? No, but if you are putting serious dough into a rifle you will use for years, and you can afford it, buy premium glass, you will never be sorry.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

yep. Buy a Leupold VX II or better and don't look back. Cabela's had them on sale but I'm not sure what their availabilty is now. Lifetime warranty and made in America instead of overseas. Check the local classified sites and you'll occasionally find a good one at a fair price. You can always send it back for a "check-up" free of charge if you have any concerns.

Mark
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 11:35 PM

While the high dollar scopes are good you pay a lot for the name alone, just like HD. I looked at a $500 Swarovski about a week ago and was not impressed. Saw no difference between it and scopes in the $150 -200 price range.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Shock absorbtion and accuracy of adjustment are a big thing that a lot of guys overlook. Yes, that low end scope will do a lot of the same things that a high end scope will do on a 100 yard range off of a rest. Get to running around the woods and bump your gun? You may be sorry. Those clicks might move the point of impact 3/8 of an inch instead of 1/4 or even be 1/16th or less off at 100 yards on a low end scope, not a big deal right? At longer distances those little differences will show up in a big way. IMO you should not have to "tap" your scope to seat your adjustment. Add harder wear and tear and again, you will see the difference sooner or later. If its not something that you are worried about then dont worry about it, but be prepared for the end result when you buy a lower end optic. As was stated above, pay the money and you will only cry once.

Best choices for top end would be Leupold or Nightforce. Best low end, I give it to Redfield.
To each his own, my story and I stick to it like glue!

A lot of what should determine how much you pay is just how picky you are about your accuracy. If you are happy with 1.5" groups at 100, then ok. If you, your gun and your ammo have the ability to do much better and you want it to do much better, then you owe it to yourself to spend the money.

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 11:55 PM

I have a Nikon Buckmaster. I got it new 5 years ago for around $200...great scope. No need for $1000 scope for 2 weeks of deer season in PA
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobbleBuck
Shock absorbtion and accuracy of adjustment are a big thing that a lot of guys overlook. Yes, that low end scope will do a lot of the same things that a high end scope will do on a 100 yard range off of a rest. Get to running around the woods and bump your gun? You may be sorry. Those clicks might move the point of impact 3/8 of an inch instead of 1/4 or even be 1/16th or less off at 100 yards on a low end scope, not a big deal right? At longer distances those little differences will show up in a big way. IMO you should not have to "tap" your scope to seat your adjustment. Add harder wear and tear and again, you will see the difference sooner or later. If its not something that you are worried about then dont worry about it, but be prepared for the end result when you buy a lower end optic. As was stated above, pay the money and you will only cry once.

Best choices for top end would be Leupold or Nightforce. Best low end, I give it to Redfield.
To each his own, my story and I stick to it like glue!

A lot of what should determine how much you pay is just how picky you are about your accuracy. If you are happy with 1.5" groups at 100, then ok. If you, your gun and your ammo have the ability to do much better and you want it to do much better, then you owe it to yourself to spend the money.
After reading this I see a lot more of the things I need to consider, On a side note, What makes Leupold what everyone seems to get all dreamy eyed about?? My neighbor has a leupold and a Swift and I think the swift may be clearer than the Leupold? I dont know really, thats more of why I asked....

Thanks for the input guys.

Ryan.

Killin' and grillin'
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetam
While the high dollar scopes are good you pay a lot for the name alone, just like HD. I looked at a $500 Swarovski about a week ago and was not impressed. Saw no difference between it and scopes in the $150 -200 price range.
I'm going to have to call you out on this one, One for thinking a Swaro doesn't look any better than a $150 scope and two for thinking HD isn't better than standard resolution. I didnít know Swaro even made a $500 scope, It sounds to me like you never compared them to begin with and you certainly have never compared HD to standard resolution, whether it was television or a HD Spotting scope to one that isnít HD.

To the OP, yes you do get what you pay for, do you need a $1,000 or more scope to hunt with, absolutely not, is it better than a $150 scope, you bet, in more ways than one, glass, reliability, durability, tracking, clarity, and the amount of light it lets in for those early morning or late evening shots. Once you spend the money on good optics youíll never ever buy cheap again, well maybe once more, but youíll find it was a mistake.

I like Leupold a lot and I have a few, you can't go wrong with a VXII, the VXIII are nicer and if you have the money go for the VXIII you won't regret it.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Sage

I have been using Swift for several years and several rifles now, It works for me and they have a guarantee, take it back , even trade, no questions asked.and they sell for around $100.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page