Savage 99e question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Savage 99e question

I have a Savage 99e 308 without the counter on the side. I was wondering what determined if the gun had the counter. Was it an option or did it depend what cal or year it was made?

It was in serious neglected shape and I decided to clean it up. The stock was almost stripped of its finish already so that was easy to sand and refinish. The rust and thick black stuff(possibly bearing grease???) on the workings came off with soaking in Marvels and 0000 Steel wool. I thought the bluing was going to be gone, but once I got through the dull flaky coating, it began to shine again. I need to get a scope and I think I got a new deer gun.
[img][/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 03:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Savage 99e question

That's a nice gun. My dad has one (I'm not sure what series it is. Also no counter and similar shaped fore end stock to yours.) His shoots really well. Very nice trigger. I can shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yards. I hope yours shoots as well. Theere are some guys on the board who know a lot more about these guns than I do. If you do a search, I'm sure you can find the info on this board.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Part of the Community

Not sure if the counter was an option. I have a 99DL in 300 Savage that I bought in either 1965 or 1966 that had a high comb stock, gold trigger and the counter. Really like the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I did search and could not find anything here or elsewhere pertaining to the counter. I figured someone would know something.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 04:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Question. What are you referring to as a "counter"? There is a patent for an indicator pin, that lets you know the gun is ready to fire. Here is the link. http://www.google.com/patents?vid=634034

I'll keep searching.

Can you show a close up photo of what you are referring to?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

what I am calling a counter is under the front scope mount in this picture....

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

sorry no help on your question. but you got a nice looking gun what cal is it in. my dad and i have 2 one in 250-3000 and the other in 303 savage. shot my first deer with the 250.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Part of the Community

In my opinion this is THE PA deer rifle. I have several that have been passed down in my family. My oldest son will get my fathers in a couple of years and my dad will go back to using his dad's .300 savage. For me, I am still using the one that was given to me when I turned twelve by a now deceased member of our camp and family friend. I refuse to hunt with anything else. Awesome gun you have there.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Savage got rid of the counter as a cost saving measure. They also moved the safety from the lever to behind the bolt for thumb use. The last major change was when they went to a box magazine and got rid of the spring loaded mannlicher style rotor/spool in the magazine. This spool is what was numbered so you could read how many shells were in the gun from the side of the receiver. The earlier version 1899's had a cocking indicator on top of the bolt that raise up when the gun was cocked. A nice feture of the earlier versions (pre thumb safety) is that you could un-cock the gun by pulling the trigger while closing the lever.

The earliest version, the 1895, also had a round hole on top of the bolt with an F for fire or an S for safe engraved inside so you could see if it was cocked.

Your gun is a post mil E, pre detachable magazine, with pressed checkering. This model has virtually no collector value unless it is new in box with the hang tags. Most collectors might want one just to fill in all the holes in there collection. I do not mean to disparage it though by any means, they are great shooters and usually very accurate. Enjoy it and take care of it from now on and it should give you a lifetime of service in the woods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page