When Buying a Rilfe Online - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

When Buying a Rilfe Online

When buying a rifle online from a private party, does it need to be shipped directly to a dealer with an FFL, or can it be shipped to my address? What's a more secure payment method, paypal or postal money order?

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 01:47 PM
The Man

Re: When Buying a Rilfe Online

if its a longgun, and the seller is shipping from within the same state that you reside, it can go directly to you.

I would opt for the postal money order, both are pretty safe methods and very trackable, but Paypal is no friend to gunowners so why give them your business.

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 01:49 PM
The Man

If you are buying a long rifle online and it's from another state you do have to get it shipped to an FFL dealer. If it is coming from your home state then it can be shipped directly to you. If it is a handgun it must be sent to and/ or processed through an FFL.

As far as payments, I think post the post office and PayPal are good ways to go. Generally speaking you will have to pay like a 3% fee for using PayPal. The nice thing about them is that they will help you resolve a problem directly. If you use a money order the post office isn't going to help you resolve a problem with the buyer and refund you your money back. I'm not 100% sure but PayPal might have some rules about using there service to buy firearms. You should research that before making your decision. Good luck with your purchase, and just for knowledge and comfort I buy almost all my guns through gunbroker.com and haven't had any issues. Just make sure you know what gun you are buying by asking as many questions about it as you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 02:05 PM

If it comes under federal law or state law as a firearm, it usually must be shipped directly to an FFL holder. Most charge $20 to $30 to receive and do paperwork. You make arrangements with the shop ahead of time to receive it. The shop I deal with faxes a copy of the signed ffl to the seller as proof of the ffl to receive it. The seller ships it after payment giving me a tracking number and when it arrives at my local shop, I already know.

I usually send postal money orders, because some sellers don't like the cut paypal takes.

As far as security for the transaction, there are some safeguards, but nothing is fool proof. Some on line auction will try to protect buyers and sellers. Others do very little. I'm not sure what paypal will do if the goods aren't shipped or are damaged in transit.

I have purchased several muzzleloaders on line and never a problem, BUT, I don't buy from anyone who has a selling history of less than 10 transactions or bad feed back. Most sellers have been great and prompt to deal with, which in itself is pleasantly surprising in this day and age.

As for postal money orders, if there is a problem, and you need proof that the money order has been cashed, I understand the post office has some wild expensive fee for providing a copy of the cashed money order. (Like $40) I never checked into getting a money order from another outfit, like Western Union, or some of the others. You may even want to check into a cashiers check from your bank. Some banks provide them for free for account holders.

Some sellers in an over abundance of caution require all guns of any kind to be shipped to an FFL holder. Some states require even muzzleloaders to be shipped to a license holder.

Then there is the wierdness of some carriers. Some post office clerks go nuts if it is a firearm. Some will lie and say it can't be shipped. I never had a problem with the post office here.

If it is a post 1898 cartridge gun and the seller isn't asking for an FFL to ship it to, I'd be very wary.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

As stated above, within state no ffl, interstate ffl required. I sold 6 guns online this year, both intra and inter state, and used paypal a number of times. One side or the other will get hit with the 3%. Normally the receiver pays it but the sender can mark the payment as a gift and select that they will accept the charge.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

thanks guys! it is a long gun (ruger m77 300wsm) coming from western PA. that's good that it doesn't need to go to an FFL as the local shop charges $50 for the transfer.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 06:54 PM

There are some shops advertising that they do it for as little as $15.00. Your local shop must have a pretty high opinion of themselves.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 08:28 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerstutzen
Then there is the wierdness of some carriers. Some post office clerks go nuts if it is a firearm. Some will lie and say it can't be shipped. I never had a problem with the post office here.
Last year I attempted to send out a rifle through our local country post office and the postmaster insisted it couldn't be done..She even phoned a few nearby post offices who were 'fuzzy" about whether or not they could ship a firearm, so I went through a local shipping company that charged about double what the post office fee would have been..As soon as I got home, my post office called me back saying that they found out they COULD ship my rifle, to bring it back..I thanked them for their stupidity, but informed them that I had already shipped it through other means.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 10:19 PM

I knew of a guy that mailed it peice at a time as parts. It worked for him.... Like a Johnny Cash song.....later
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 11:38 PM
The Man

If you do Paypal you better mention NOTHING about firearms.....otherwise, the seller will have his Paypal account frozen by Paypal and you won't get your firearm from the seller because he did not receive his money from Paypal.

The purchase of firearms is strictly prohibited under Paypal's rules....as is ammo and reloading components...Best to read Paypal's rules before using it....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page