Gun Safe Opinions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Gun Safe Opinions

I am currently in the market for a fire proof gun safe and have been looking at many different manufacturers (Liberty, Winchester, Fort Knox, Cannon, Stack-on, Amsec). I am limited on size and weight, but it looks like I'm somewhere in the 30 gun size class. To my surprise only Liberty & Fort Knox are made in the USA so I'm leaning to them. Any tips or recommendations on any safes would be helpful as I'm ready to buy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Gun Safe Opinions

Go with an electronic lock instead of the dial type.

Camp Longbeard, Cross Fork, Potter County
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i have a liberty and like it. i did not want the electronic lock so i went with the dial. look for one that has crossbolts on sides, top and bottom and a high fire rating. get a dehumidifer like the goldenrod. oh, and buy one about twice the size you think you need unless all your guns as single barrel shotguns with no scopes.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 06:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

Pumpgun is right, the scopes make a huge difference. And no gun safe is fire proof. They are fire resistant on different levels. When you research a safe they should give you a temp level & time limit on the life of your guns in the safe during a fire. I have a stack on, works fine, digital entry cross bolts, priced for a budget.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 02:10 PM
TEE

The Eastern Outdoor Show is only 5 weeks away. Vendors have discounted them in the past at the end of the show so they don't have to haul them back again.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I was thinking about that since the show is coming up! I did speak with one vendor that offered me a better deal prior to the show though. I'm still checking things out, but am leaning to Ft. Knox or Liberty!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 02:33 PM

I have a Browning Pro-Steel Gun Safe and it was made in the USA.
I really like the quality of my safe and it is very heavy built. The heavier the build the better they are for a fire rating.
Trust me when I say that I researched all safes when I bought mine, as my house was destroyed in a fire and I lost all of my guns. For me, I didnt think anyone compared to a Browning safe. The others are nice, but they didnt have the options or the fire rating that I wanted. I have the Browning Gold Series safe and it is rated for 1200 deg. for 100 mins. It has all the options I would need, room for 30 guns and other pers. stuff you would want to put in a safe. It even has a jewelry box for all of your spouses(if you have one)valuables. You might not think all this is important, but when your house is destroyed in a fire, you will find important.
If you dont buy one "off the lot" be prepared to pay alot for shipping.
Browning Safes......Made in the USA!
And get the electronic lock, faster,easier, especially if you do like me and keep the checkbook and everything in there. It makes it easier for the wife to enter the safe
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

On the Browning, do you have the Duo-Plus interior with the door rack? I'm curious about how well the door rack works?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 07:34 PM

I have the DPX door storage system, not sure if that is what you meant or if the Duo-Plus is another system.
The door rack has alot of storage for handguns(holsters), accessories and etc. It has storage for 7 guns, but they cannot have scopes on them. They are for shotguns or plain rifles. I have 2 shotguns on mine along with alot of accessories. You can put alot of stuff on these things!!
Browning makes nice safes with alot of nice options, some included some not. The DPX is included on most models, it was included on mine. When I bought mine I had it delivered to a moving company and they delivered it to my house and installed it in place. It weighed over 1000 lbs so it will not just walk away.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

Definitely go bigger than you can imagine. I have a timber ridge (sold my gander mountain) LOVE it, but guns with scopes are tough. It holds 30, but am thinking to upgrade to a 64 unit. Gander actually has one for sale right now for about the price I bought the smaller one for. I'm a bit ole fashioned so I went with the dial.....

Are we at camp yet?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page