17 Hornet - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

17 Hornet

Was recently reading about the new 17Hornet.Savage and Hornady have been working on this for awhile and savage will be making this rifle.I hope other company,s like CZ and Ruger come out with their version.Would love to see a CZ 527 American chambered in this.Recoil is like a 22 Magnum with velocity around 3700fps with 20gr bullet. Would be an ideal chuck gun out to 300 yds.Would anyone else be interested in this caliber?I love the 22 Hornet and always say,Sting um with a Hornet,now you can explode un,LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: 17 Hornet

it won't be an ideal 300 yard chuck gun. While the bullets have great speed, the light 20 gr BT's will drift a bit much when you get past 200 and they loose their speed pretty quick in that same range. It is a sweet 200 yard gun, but 300 is for windless days only.

Look up the 17 ackley hornet, especially on saubier as there are a couple groundhog guys there who love their AH's. I love mine, sadly I have no groundhogs to shoot, only hares, pigeons, and crows.

Thanks,
Rick
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 03:15 PM

Re: 17 Hornet

cbf is correct. It will occasionally work to 300, but under 250 is more like it. It will NOT explode a groundhog. More than likely, you won't get an exit and will have a hard time even finding an entrance hole.

Like cbf said, the 17AH is it's closest related cartridge, and the 17AH has been around for years. It is a great little round, especially for predator hunting. Works great on foxes, coons, etc. that you don't want to blow huge holes in the hide. Handloaders will enjoy it. Only about 10 gr of powder to get 3700 fps, good 17cal bullets available, etc. It's going to be very popular.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page