Bushnell elite 4-16 vs Leupold VX3 4.5-14 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Bushnell elite 4-16 vs Leupold VX3 4.5-14

I am in the market for a new scope for my .2506, which I use for Groundhog, coyote and deer. I am considering either a Bushnell elite 4-16 or a Leupold VX3 4.5-14. Does anyone have an opinion on either scope or a recommendation.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

Re: Bushnell elite 4-16 vs Leupold VX3 4.5-14

I know my uncle has nothing but good things to say about his experience with the VX-III 4.5-14X. He was bear hunting this year and right before dark saw a bear in a tree. He watched it through his Redfield 4-12X hoping for a shot until it was too dark to see.At that point the guy beside him handed him his Weatherby with the Leupold 4.5-14 and my uncle said it looked like it was still ten minutes earlier through that scope. He's determined to get one for next year.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

4.5x14 VariXIII is my all time favorite hunting scope, Clarity is second to none, magnification range is excellent for close shooting in the woods and you can strech it out to 600 yards or farther on game when needed without any trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Got a VX-3 4.5-14x40 Long Range on a Sako 270wsm and a Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 AO on a 257Wby. Been used in the alps, Mexican desert, Kodiak, South America, Pa of course, both are very good, they're Leupold. But can't decide if I prefer the LR or AO adjustments, each has their pros and cons.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have nothing but Leupolds on my rifles and highly recommend them also they are made in the USA. I have the VX 3 4.5-14 on my 300 RUM and dont think theres a better scope out there for my rifle

Freezer full yet?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

I haven't looked through one of the new Elites yet, but I'd be fairly comfortable saying that the VX3 is the better choice. It is also a bit pricier. Anything below the VX3 line and I would go with the Bushnell.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 06:38 PM
The Man

You definitely get a better scope in my opinion with the Leupold. The Bushnell, especially the new elites are a very good quality scope too though. I think optically the Leupold beats the elite by the tiniest bit. As far as craftsmanship and customer service I would again give it to Leupold. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't hesitate to put an elite on any of my rifles. Especially with the $50 mail in rebate they have going on right now. Feel free to ask me any further questions if you need any help. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Mac
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:10 AM
Part of the Community

I have used both and really can't see a difference. I pretty much went with the bushnell after that due to the price. Two of the ones I have are from when they were still bosch and lomb prior to being bought by bushnell. Never had any problem with them. Go to a gun shop and look through both of them and see which one you like better. Can't go wrong either way.

Cold Spring Lodge
Pine Creek
Lycoming County
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Administrator

IMO both are good scopes!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 02:17 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I had all Leupold scopes on my guns. Then had a rainy, foggy opening day a few years back and had all kinds of trouble keeping my scope clear. A friend had a Bushnell Elite with the RainGuard coating - it works awesome. ALL the Leupold's came off ALL my guns & now they ALL have Bushnell Elite's. I also own the Elite bino & rangefinder. Needless to say, I've been converted for sure.
Elite's are awesome scopes, primarily because of the RainGuard. Their new 6500 series easily competes with the higher priced scopes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page