Can't decide between Scopes for a drive gun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Can't decide between Scopes for a drive gun

Do any of you have them?
I am comparing:
Burris 2-7x35mm FullField II Rifle Scope
to
Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm Rifle Scope.

I think I may then mount a reflex scope on top for close fast shooting.

Any and all feedback will be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Banned

Re: Can't decide between Scopes for a drive gun

open sights
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 AM
The Man

the best thing to do IMO would to be get a scout style scope, and have the barrel drilled and tapped for a long eye relief scope........it gives you the magnification if you need it, but you could shoot it very instinctive like iron sights too.....

http://www.burrisoptics.com/special1.html#2x

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:04 AM
The Man

I'm a fan and personally use Leupold scopes. I have tried them all and think that the Leupolds are top notch. The scope you particularly are looking at power wise are perfect for your application. 2 power gives you great field of view for close in shots, and the higher 7 power is great in case you have to take a longer shot. Good luck with whatever choice you make and let me know if you need any further assistance.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 01:24 PM

I have leupolds and like them but have become a fan of the Zeiss conquest, and trijicon accupoints. Bushnells and nikons have also been good for me. This is the same chevy-ford argument, all have their devotees. IMO any company that puts out an inferior product in today's market won't be around long. However you get what you pay for (usually) so scopes in the $400 range and up are usually the ones I stick to regardless of the company. But obviously you have to work within the budget. I would say the ones you chose would suit the purpose.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:01 PM

2 of my driving guns where Leupold 2-7x33. One wears a detachable Leupold fixed 2.5 x 20 scope and XS peep sights.
My other available ones all have ghost and peep sights. I can decide on the firearm knowing who and where we are driving. If I will be moving/driving all day it will be the fixed 2.5 or peep sights. If I will be alternating driving and standing it will probably be the 2-7x33.

I am a firm beleiver in the quality and toughness of Leupold scopes.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

I like leupold scopes and don't have any experience with Burris. That being said, I have a read a ton of great reviews on Burris. I am going to head up to cabelas today to check them out.
Also, Zeiss has a 1.5 x 6 30mm tube and 42 obj that is selling for around 1,700. It looks like a perfect scope for a drive gun. I can afford the scope but I kind of don;t want to put something that nice on something I am going to be bouncing and trudging through the brush with. I know myself and I tend to be hard on equipment. hmm... So many choices..
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Part of the Community

SCH CO,
I bought a burris fulfield 2 3x9 and have to have it sent back to the company. Whenever I increase the magnification from 3 to 9 it also raises my shot groups about 14inches. This could just be a fluke, it is the first burris scope i've ever owned. Burris is amazing in low light though, just as good if not better than leupold.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sch Co
I like leupold scopes and don't have any experience with Burris. That being said, I have a read a ton of great reviews on Burris. I am going to head up to cabelas today to check them out.
Also, Zeiss has a 1.5 x 6 30mm tube and 42 obj that is selling for around 1,700. It looks like a perfect scope for a drive gun. I can afford the scope but I kind of don;t want to put something that nice on something I am going to be bouncing and trudging through the brush with. I know myself and I tend to be hard on equipment. hmm... So many choices..
If you have that kind of budget, look into the VX6 1-6X. It can be had for ~$800. Also, a Minox ZA5 1.5-8 goes for around $500 (even as low as $400). The Elite 6500 1.25-8 would be another good one at $700.

With a budget such as you mention, I would go with one of the 5X or 6X magnification range scopes. It means spending more money than the Burris, but will provide better optics and a magnification that is not really a compromise at either short or moderate range.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 04:15 PM

IMO that Zeiss you mentioned would be a good one to use. Part of the cost of the higher end scopes is the quality that allows them to take a beating and keep on going. I wouldn't worry about it being "too nice" , they were made to be used.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page