Looking for a new rifle - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Looking for a new rifle

Looking for input from the HPC community.

I am looking for a new Deer Rifle for myself but at the same time, it is going to be a gun that my 4-year-old daughter can grow into. I shot a model 700 Remington, 7mm rem mag. As a young child, I had a hard time putting bullets on paper due to the recoil, but never noticed the 7mm rem mag kick when a deer was in the cross hairs.

I am looking for a low recoil rifle (something bigger than a .243)…thinking about the 7mm-08. I want to be able to swap the stock from a youth stock to an adult stock or an adult stock to a youth stock without having an issue with barrel weight (thinking 22 inch). Right now, I do not think it matter to me if the barrel is blued or stainless, if the adult stock is wood, but want a synthetic youth stock. I want a drop plat to remove bullets or a removable clip; I do not want to chamber mutable rounds to clear the gun.

The only thing I can find that gives me 2 stocks is the Howa M1500 2 N 1 combo pack….I cannot find a vender that makes a youth stock that fits a “adult length barrel”.

Would anybody have any good ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking for a new rifle

you might consider a Remington Model 7 youth then add 1" recoil pad to it for your LOP then put the original back on for her. Works well for us. Also, you can buy a Boyds drop-in stock for it when she's ready to move up.

Mark
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Frequent Contributor

The Vanguard Synthetic Youth has a spacer that allows you to adjust the LOP from 12 1/2" to 13 5/8". It also has a 20" barrel which should balance better for a child and shouldn't hinder you too much with a 7mm-08.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPSU
you might consider a Remington Model 7 youth then add 1" recoil pad to it for your LOP then put the original back on for her. Works well for us. Also, you can buy a Boyds drop-in stock for it when she's ready to move up.

Mark
Great idea and in a 260cal.

As Charles Barkley says, "I may be wrong, but I doubt it".
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 01:18 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-OTT6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPSU

Mark
Great idea and in a 260cal.
I will third the model 7. You can pick up the youth model and buy a factory remington synthetic adult stock for I believe around $110. I have a model 7 and love it.

I have the 260 and its a great caliber that has more knockdown power than 243 but less kick than a 308 or 7mm 08. The only thing it is missing is it has a 20 inch barrel instead of the 22 you stated.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 01:53 AM

IMO the 260 Rem. would be perfect.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 01:57 AM
The Man

I am looking for something similar for my youngest. I would love a 260 but they are tough to find without spending a fortune. More than likely gonna end up with the Vanguard in 7-08 or .243.

The 260 is on my short list though if one pops up!!!

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:53 AM
Part of the Community

All of my rifles are Remingtons. That being said, I vote for the weatherby. I am just not sure about the quality standards of the new owners of big green. I know of guys that have had issues with ammo that were never there before,so I don't know if I would take a chance on a bigger purchase such as a rifle. I hope I am wrong. As far as caliber choice, I have never shot a 7mm-08 or a 260, but since they are born from a 308,and the bullet weights are similiar, would they kick much less than a 308? I have been looking at ammo prices and 308's are a lot cheaper to shoot.

Remington:700x2,870,788
Ruger Redhawk 44,SP101.357
Marlin .22
NRA
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Frequent Contributor

I agree with the 260 being the best caliber choice

You can't get em from the couch.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 01:40 PM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

get a 308 and use reduced recoil rounds when the kid uses the rifle. then they can use regular rounds as they grow. in the mean time you have a great caliber that will kill anything in PA. the tikka T3 is a great gun, better than rems now.

RIZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page