Proper Scope Mounting - Where? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Proper Scope Mounting - Where?

So I have a TC omega that has always shot sort of .... Well recently I noticed that the scope mount, at the base, is actually wobbling. So much that when I look through the scope and wiggle the scope the POI changes by a foot or so LOL

I had it mounted at a chain store as I do not have all the needed tools such as a torque screw driver, vise, lapping tools and whatnot. Where in the Pittsburgh area can I have a scope PROPERLY mounted? I want to just redo all my weapons because I don't trust anything anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 08:22 AM

Re: Proper Scope Mounting - Where?

I would take it back to the store, show them the problem and tell them its their responsibility to do it right. I would insist it be repaired by a competent gunsmith at their expense. The threads are probably cross threaded. It may be necessary to redrill the action and replace with a universal mount.

benchrest
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

If you want to have all of your optics remounted, I would suggest buying a torque driver and learning to do it yourself. It's not hard to do and it will give you peace of mind knowing that it is done properly.

You should probably take the Omega back to where you had the scope mounted before you attempt to do anything on your own as, if it is cross threaded, it could be a costly repair.

There is also the possibility that the screws just loosened or the hole is not tapped deep enough and the screw is bottoming out.

If you have several firearms you wish to remount and plan on having more in the future, I think a torque driver is a good investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

I bought the gun over 5 years ago. It saw limited use
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 10:07 AM

It could be a # of things. It may not be cross threaded, It is really hard to cross thread 6-48 screws going thru a mount as a guide. One screw may be to long, causing it not to tighten, it may just not been done properly & been loose from the start.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Its not difficult to do yourself. You do not need any special tools, however you do need to know how to count and how to remember. Give your screws equal amounts of turn from the same starting position. When all is tight, put it down and come back in 30 minutes. You will get more turn on your screws now because metal fatigues under stress. Come back in another 15 and nothing should turn, buts its ok if it does, just do it equally. Its very simple to see uneven gaps from side to side in your rings, not so easy with bases. Some base screws are different lengths if the receiver is thicker in the rear, they must go in the correct hole. This is a job anyone can master with a little practice, I suggest trying it yourself. If you have poor results, then take it to a gunsmith, not a gunshop.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Ace's out Rte 19 in Washington can handle the mounting and equipment needs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page