Appraising antiques/collectables - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Appraising antiques/collectables

I have (2) collectables. One is a Marlin lever in .32 rimfire(1873?), and the other is an octaginal barreled Winchester single shot lever chambered in .22 long. I've taken them both to local gun shops for an insurance appraisal. They have all drooled and said the are worth $1500 for insurance purposes, then offered me $750-$1000 for them. Where can I get the true value for them.. I'm considering selling them, and picking up an M1A. Any suggestions?

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEBSITE.... www.AAFORESTRYANDWILDLIFESERVICE.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Appraising antiques/collectables

Shooters bible gives a rough estimate on value. Its all about demand and how bad they want it. Sounds like you got some sweet guns.

Vegetarian: old Indian word for lousy hunter
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

They're sweet all right. Can't believe Dad used to let me hunt hogs with them as a kid....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 02:12 PM

look on gunsamerica.com or gunbroker.com and see if there are any there for sale ,gun broker is an auction site so that will be what people are WILLING to pay .appraisels and books are a good guide but it all comes down to an ACTUAL sale price , you can sell on gun broker with a mininum price if you want
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 03:02 PM

A original win hiwall action in good shape goes for $750
A lo wall action for $400

double or triple that for a complete gun in shootable shape.

Do you know which it is?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Stutzen. Searchin right now on Guns america. Pretty sure it's a low wall from previous search. Much better than shootable condition..

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Stutzen ,,Found it..1885 Win low wall ...22 long. nice shape...

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Stutsen Marlin is 1894 .32 rf. Very nice condition....

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Wiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberPro
I have (2) collectables. One is a Marlin lever in .32 rimfire(1873?), and the other is an octaginal barreled Winchester single shot lever chambered in .22 long. I've taken them both to local gun shops for an insurance appraisal. They have all drooled and said the are worth $1500 for insurance purposes, then offered me $750-$1000 for them. Where can I get the true value for them.. I'm considering selling them, and picking up an M1A. Any suggestions?
For insurance purposes, they are probably worth $1,500 if you had to replace them. However, gun shops are not in the business to buy something at top dollar and then selling it for cost but their goal is to sell it for what it is worth so they can make a profit. Would you to go into a gun shop and expect a dealer to say yes to your offer if it was 25-50% less than it was worth?

In general, gun shows and gun shops are bad places to try to sell a gun because you will never get near the value you think you should get for the gun as the person buying is in the business to make money off of the purchase. Private sells are the way to go if you want to sell a gun for close to its value as if you have someone who wants it bad enough, they will fork out the money.

Gunbroker and all those website sales places are great places to see if you can sell them and what you may get for them, but the prices paid on some of those sites are not what you will get from an insurance company, but rather some folks who have too much money and not enough common sense. We have sold a few guns to a few suckers for far more than they were worth. One I remember best was my dad's model 760 with a Redfield scope on it. It was listed in the local classified about 15 years ago for somewhere around $325. Everyone that called wouldn't pay that much for it. After about 2 months in the free classifieds, my dad re-advertised as the gun for $300 and the scope for $50. We had people coming out of the wood work for the gun and the first guy that ended up at the shop also bought the scope and asked if we could mount it and bore sight it. We made $40 just for advertising the gun and scope separate.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
We have sold a few guns to a few suckers for far more than they were worth.
isn't that nice. a reputable gun shop you're running there. did you ever think that maybe some people don't have the knowledge of guns and how to tell what something is worth and are looking for a ethical shop that will help them and still be able to make a profit without ripping them off? like a guy trying to get his kid into shooting but doesn't know a lot? guess he's a sucker huh?

glad you're in georgia.

My diploma is a DD Form 214

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page