Scope help.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Scope help....

I recently purchased a Remington 700 in .300 Win Mag and I'm looking for some advice on glass. It'll be used for hunting and some moderate range shooting....out to about 600 yards. So far I'm leaning towards a Vortex Viper or Nikon. Any other suggestions?

Magnification: I'm leaning towards 6 x 20. I have 5 x 15 Bushnell 3200 on a Rem 700 in .308 and I'm very satisfied with it. But I may want more top end magnification. Not so much for hunting, but for the target shooting. I guess I'm looking for some balance.

Thanks in advance.

Bowtech Destroyer340. Rage.
WMU: 2B and 2A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:04 AM

Re: Scope help....

Vortex from what I am hearing is a very nice scope. Currently have a Viper PST 6-24x50 on order.

That being said I have been running the Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40 on two of my rigs and have been very happy with repeatablilty even on a 300 RUM.

Both are fine choices.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've been reading some great reviews on the Vortex scopes. I would like to give one a try. You probably won't need the 20X magnification unless you are going to be hunting groundhogs. For deer sized game, you could use a 4.5-14 and have enough magnification.

Free Madcatter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 AM
The Man

I have a 4-16x44 AO Burris Signature on my .300 Wby.....it has the ballistic plex reticle, and it is accurate out to 600 yards away........I shot a group at 600 yards using the plex it was about 6" low......

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:27 AM
Frequent Contributor

Leupold 6x18, pro-affordable, decent glass, con-Adjustable objective which isn't quick for hunting. Leupold 6x20, Pro-better glass, more magnification and side focus which is much faster for hunting. Leupold 8.5x24, my favorite unless your spending big bucks, great glass, side focus, more magnification, target knobs, con-getting a little pricey, lowest power of 8.5 is a little much for hunting deer when there is a close shot.

If you’re leaning to do more target shooting than hunting you’ll be happy with the 8.5x24. If you’re planning on do a lot of target shooting and just a little hunting go a little more and buy a Nightforce 12x42. You can find a used BR model for around $1200 or less if your patient.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:39 AM
The Man

There are so many options available to you for this particular optic you are seeking. I have a lot of options for you if you are interested in discussing it. One thing that I noticed is that you have the Elite 3200, which is one of my favorite scopes of all time, and you are happy with it minus the magnification levels. I currently have some left-over Elite 4200's, one step up from the 3200's, 6-24x40, for less than $400. I also have some of the new model Elites in the 4-16, 6-24, and even the 8-32 power scopes as well listed on the website. Some of the other options available to you include, as stated above, the Leupold VX-II 6-18x40mm scopes, as well as the higher end VX-3 scopes. Finally I also have the Nikon Buckmaster's in both 4.5-14 and the 6-18 power as well. I haven't gotten all of the Nikon optics listed on the website yet, but I still have them.

I personally don't have the Vortex scopes and I have heard mixed reviews on them. I haven't worked with one myself so I have no opinion on them. If you end up going that route please give us a review of your experience with it.

Ultimately you have to think of your rifle as a chain, and you are only as strong as your weakest link. Don't let your optic be the weakest link in your chain. Do some research and make an informed decision. If you want we can discuss a little more in-depth about the construction and quality of the scopes you are looking at. Please feel free to contact me by phone or by email. Both are listed on my website. Good luck with your decision and at the very least let us know what you decided on.

Respectfully,

Mac
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 04:40 PM

Heard nothing but good things about Vortex and personally think their optics are amoung the best.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Banned

Until today I would have said Leupold. But I just got done talking to my taxidermist who told me that during Hurricane Lee he had his gun collection underwater in his basement for two days. He was in Montana at the time. Anyway he said he had 17 Leupolds, one Swarovski, and one Tasco. He said all 17 Leupolds had taken water on internally and had to be shipped back to the factory to be resealed. Most of these were VX-III's. The Tasco and the Swarovski were fine which is more than can be said for his guns but his Weatherby's came through it pretty well.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

All 17? Come on now that sounds like a pretty good story if you ask me. Atleast Leopold will stand by there scopes and repair them for him. Tasco nevermind! Swarovski awsome scope there and yes the vortex is a fine scope also.

Last Chance Camp Bradford County Pa. Cherish The Moments Lost My Stuff Group www.lostmystuff.net
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearslayer
All 17? Come on now that sounds like a pretty good story if you ask me. Atleast Leopold will stand by there scopes and repair them for him. Tasco nevermind! Swarovski awsome scope there and yes the vortex is a fine scope also.
I couldn't argue with the man. He's always treated me fairly and honestly. I've no reason to doubt him. Plus as upset as he got talking about it, there had to be something wrong with those 17 Leupolds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page