Nikon Buckmaster vs ProStaff - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Nikon Buckmaster vs ProStaff

What is the difference between these 2 scopes?

I own 3 prostaff scopes and really love them. I'm in the market to get a new scope for my 7mm mag and want to get a higher magnification then 3x9. The price difference is $100 dollars between the two models. Is the buckmaster worth the extra $100? if so, why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 05:11 PM
The Man

Re: Nikon Buckmaster vs ProStaff

If you talk to Nikon they tell you that the Buckmaster has better glass on it than what the Prostaff does on it. As far as optical quility i would personally have to say that you would never be able to tell the difference between them. They also claim that the Buckmaster is shockproof, where as they won't say that about the Prostaff. In my experience it would take a lot of recoil to knock off or damage a Prostaff. I think you wouldn't be disappointed with putting a Prostaff on you firearm. As far as pricing goes on them I am in the process of getting the Nikon optics up on the website so I'm not sure about the difference. I should have it up by the end of the week hopefully. Good luck with whatever you choose.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 05:26 PM

I know you said you wanted more than a 3x9 but the best deal going was Dicks selling Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 BDCs for $199 for the past few weeks (cheaper than the Buckmasters). This week, they have them advertised for $219, the same price as the Buckmasters. I own several Prostaff's, Buckmasters and Monarchs. I cannot tell a difference between the Prostaff vs Buckmaster or the Buckmaster vs Monarch but can tell a difference jumping between the Prostaff and Monarch. I cannot speak for the new 2011 Prostaff's which they are claiming 98% light transmission. I don't own one yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 05:30 AM
Part of the Community

I have a 7mm Mag with a 3-9x40 Buckmaster on it. I love it. Out in Wyoming,I shot a doe with MAYBE 5 minutes of legal shooting time left. It was all but dark under the trees! 165 yd shot,could see her perfectly. I can't say about the prostaff(the price looks great though) I have only looked at them in the store.

Remington:700x2,870,788
Ruger Redhawk 44,SP101.357
Marlin .22
NRA
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 08:45 AM

the difference is Jackie Bushman gets $ for royalties because he's the Buckmaster. And if it's camo...Bill Jordan's got his hand in it too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

wow the monarch for 200 is a deal...i'm going to check that out...thanks for the input guys.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 11:43 AM

I have a prostaff on my 7600 .35 Whelen and it holds up to that recoil just fine. About the only gripe I can say is that the anti-relective coating could be a bit better as is does have a tiny bit of glare if the light sky or sun is behind you in your tree stand.

Big LSWC's rule
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:58 PM

i bought the monarch 3x9 with the bdc at dicks lat month. it was $199 and a steal at that price. i put it on my new browning a-bolt slug gun and used it in illinois this year for deer. i own 3 other monarchs and never had a problem with them.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:14 PM

My 00.2 is 3X9X40 is plenty of scope for huntin deer size game. Chuck huntin different story....later
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 PM

I have a pro staff and my dad has a buck masters. To me I cant tell the diff in the glass both very clear and crisp. Recoil has not been a factor with either the pro staff is on a 7mm wsm and the buck masters on a 300 win. Either should work well for ya.

life member of nahc
buckmasters member
pa fly fish member
nra member
ducks unlimited member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page