Remington 7600 scope help/ recommendation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Remington 7600 scope help/ recommendation

Looking for scope ideas for my 7600 in 30.06 Long story short first day of rifle we had rain and thick fog in our part of mckean county. At 11:00 I look through the scope just to check things out and can't see a thing it looked foggy. I figured there was water on the lens so I unloaded and looked at the exit of the scope end no water at all as I had scope caps on. Well thats weird i'm thinking. I come back to camp for lunch and further investigate the "fog" It turns on it is the inner lens of the scope that has fogged from the inside. Never had this happen on any rifle I have ever owned before. Just wondering what you guys recommend I do. The scope is just a cheapy tasco world class 3-9x40 came with the gun and shot great at the range so I just went with it. Obiviously now I wish I wouldn't of done that. It has a lifetime warranty do I send it back to be repaired or just scrap it for another scope? Obiviously not a tasco but something decent. Very limited budget here to work with. Like $100 and under. I know you get what you pay for when it comes to things but $ is so insanely tight right now. I was thinking maybe a bushnell 3-9x40 trophy xlt as you can buy them for $100 shipped brand new. I would like a redfield revolution but can't swing it. And of course a leupold vx-II but thats way out of the realm of reality right now. I do big woods hunting only. Mainly 120 yards and under. Occasional spots down a hollow offer 200-225 yards of clear shooting distance. Any help of ideas? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 04:40 PM

Re: Remington 7600 scope help/ recommendation

You are not going to get much for $100. Save your money and INVEST in a Leupold Vari X II 3 X 9. You get what you pay for and a Leupold is a lifetime investment. You won't have to worry about your riflescope working properly anymore.They cost more because you have to pay for GOOD quality.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 04:54 PM

The Bushnell trophey is a good scope for the money. I have had a few over the years and they all worked fine. I no its a little more then you are looking to spend but the Nikon Prostaff scope is a nice scope too. One can be had around $130-$140.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is deadly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

X2 on the Leupold Vari X II 3 x 9

Waterfowling success should never be measured by the weight of the strap
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 06:11 PM

Leupold VX-I or VX-II. You can pick up a VX-I for a little over $150 right now. Other choices would be a Leupold made Redfield and possibly a Nikon ProStaff.

I use 2 Remington pumps and both wear Leupold 2-7x33mm in low mounts
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 06:24 PM

3x9x40 or 2x7x33 leupold vari-x I or II have one on my rem 700 and other on marlin 336

well worth the extra cash, but get what you can afford
Had a simmons on my old rifle and got a leupold and the clarity is like night and day

for woods hunting i'd lean towards the 2x7x33 wider angle of view in woods/brush

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 06:42 PM
The Man

Going to the Bushnell is definitely a step up in the right direction that's for sure. You are going to still experience some fogging on the worst days but in terms of optical clarity and better performance you will see a difference from your Tasco. The next step up would be either the Bushnell Elites or the Leupold VX-I's or their Rifleman series. Both will offer you more protection from the elements and give you another step up in optical clarity. I've got the Bushnell Trophy XLT's in the 3-9x40's for $119.95 with free priority mail shipping right now. I then also have the Leupold VX-I's and Riflemans for just a bit over $200.00 depending on which one you are looking at. This economy is very tough, so as far as bang for your buck is concerned you will do quite well with the Bushnell XLT. Let us know what you decide on and if you have any more questions just ask. There are some very knowledgable people on this site. If I can be of any assistance just PM me or email me [email protected]. Good luck!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send it back than you have a backup if you need one year.I sent my tasco back 12 years ago they sent me the top of the line they made at the time.Which is now on my 30-30 that I use as a back up gun.If it was me I would go with the prostaff. That is what i got on my 30-06.

MY GUN MY RIGHT !!!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 07:38 PM

I have a 3x9 Nikon on my 76oo.257 Rbts. They have a new improved model out now that has better light gathering system.The ProStaffs are a pretty rugged scope.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i have been buying the bushnell elite 3200's lately for around $150. for under $100 the bushnell sportsman is a decent scope for most PA hunting. i have never had any of my modern bushnells fog on me and i hunt in some nasty weather. the old tasco's and simmons were prone to that.

My diploma is a DD Form 214

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page