Any Gunsmiths on Here? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Any Gunsmiths on Here?

Have a 30:30 Winchester that is having problems with the action. 2 years ago I missed shooting a buck because the trigger could not release the hammer. Took it to a gunshop and they said all they could find was one screw was backed off about a quarter of a turn. It worked fine until today. This morning a six point came out and stood for about 4 minutes. I could not fire the gun because of the trigger not being able to release the hammer. I can pull all I want it will not shoot. So I left the woods and went back to the gun shop. All the screws were tight. He thought maybe the stock had released a small piece of wood and when he took the stock off that released pressure and it worked fine. Went back to the woods and it is having the same problem I do notice that the lever has a small amount of play in it.So when I apply a lifting pressure slightly then the gun does shoot. What causes this?Could there be a worn piece in the action?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Banned

Re: Any Gunsmiths on Here?

Winchester's have a trigger block that is only released by squeezing the lever against the lower tang. If you're not squeezing that lever, the trigger won't release.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Moose
Winchester's have a trigger block that is only released by squeezing the lever against the lower tang. If you're not squeezing that lever, the trigger won't release.
+1 some winchesters are picky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:17 PM

Mine was that way from new.It's an added safety device.Mine always went off because manual told me to hold the lever tight when firing.I don't think the gun has any issues.Provided it is used properly.May be you should download a users manual for it.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I have had this rifle for over 12 years and it worked fine. Do I hold the lever up against the stock? This seemed to help today.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

yes, squeeze the lever tight, with a good grip. think of it as a pre-glock trigger safety that someone needs to figure out how to disable

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqrlhntr
Thanks for the responses. I have had this rifle for over 12 years and it worked fine. Do I hold the lever up against the stock? This seemed to help today.
If you look under the lever, there is a pin the protrudes from the grip area of the stock. If that pin is not pressed up into the stock the gun will not fire. That is the purpose of holding the lever tight when firing. Some require more pressure than others.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 03:55 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I am surprised that a gunsmith would not know about the lever safety mechanism on the Winchester 94. I have two..one is pretty touchy and can be difficult to fire, the other one I have never had a problem with it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Sage

Yep, make sure it is in as far as it will go, kinds like the grip safety on a 1911 pistol. Here is another guy having the same problem.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=56559.0

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Now this really get me ticked. I have had two incidents like this with this rifle and the gunsmith never mentioned it. His answer was a loose screw and then a small sliver of wood from the stock. I happened to see a man hunting today and he says he can adjust this "tang" so that it will not take much pressure to let it fire. Is this good? Thanks to all the replies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page