22-250 for deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

22-250 for deer

my 8 year old son did a lot of shooting with my 22-250 this year and i decided to let him try it on deer. i reloaded him 60 grain nosler partitions and we both shot it to make sure it was good. 3 shot 3/4 inch groups, 3 of them at 100 yards and the boy was keeping 3 shot groups in 5 inches at 100 and 3 inches at 50. last night right at dark, doe came out at other end of the field. my boy and i were in a blind. i estimated the disatance at 100 yards, and let him shoot. bang the deer fell to the ground, 3 or 4 seconds later it jumped up tail high and bounded away the 30 yards to the woods and disappeared. went to where he shot it and paced off the distance, 167 yards, i know very bad estimation. pile of hair and absolutely no blood. i searched for an hour last night, and an hour and a half today with no luck. my question is, could that bullett not have penetrated that does front shoulder and just knocked hair off because of the distaance? looking for some of your thoughts. next year we are going to move to a 25-06 or 243 and shoot them with that and we are going to practice all summer with the bigger gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 12:05 AM
The Man

Re: 22-250 for deer

At 167 yards with a partition,I'm sure you got penetration

At 200 you should still be over 1000ft/lbs of energy

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think your son just grazed that deer.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Banned

very good possibility on the grazing.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 06:36 PM

I too am guessing graze. The partition would have blown through that shoulder with no problem.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is deadly
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:18 PM

When a bullet strikes bone, especially at an angle, anything can happen, even with larger calibers. Some would say the smaller faster bullets are more prone to deflection by the shoulder or a rib. NP's are great bullets but out of a 22-250 on a deer I would not say that straight through penetration is a given. I don't think the distance had anything to do with it being only 167 yds.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 11:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

I don't think the deer would have fallen down from a graze shot unless you hit close to the shoulder or spine. My guess is that that you hit ribs just below the spine. The ribs being twisted off shocked the spine enough that the deer fell down. The deer may take a while to fill up with blood from that kind of shot. It may be dead up to 200 yards away. There is also a t on the shoulder bone which is very hard to penetrate with a smaller caliber. If you hit that it "might" not penetrate.

That is just one possiblity. If you looked around the area pretty thoroughly I wouldn't worry about it. On a side note I killed a 6 point with my .222 yesterday. Don't give up on the .22 just yet.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 11:47 PM
The Man

I,m with 79.That doe was bleedin internally went into a thicket or in some deadfalls(trees) layed down and curled up and died.She is in there,you just didn,t find her.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79inpa
Don't give up on the .22 just yet.
Actually , Please do.

Another day in paradise. God hunts on Sundays.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Sage

Your son was shooting 5 inch groups at 100 yds, from a bench? Not good enough of a shooter at this point to take even a 100 yd shot, 50, yes, but not 100. Then, the shot turns out to be 160 yds. Was that shot off a bench?

It seems that he took a shot he should not have, and the result was poor bullet placement, plus, using a light rifle where there is little room for error.

Next year, get him shooting a larger caliber, heavier bullet with a reduced load. Then, at his young age limit the distance he can shoot to what is realistic. You'll have a much better result next time.

And a rangefinder might be a good idea as well.

I'd suggest a 243, 260, or something similar. My nephews son used my 260 this year on a doe, with great results, but it was a 50 yd shot, easily doable for him, at 10 years old.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page