new gun! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

new gun!

got a remington 700 sps tactical in 308. with 20 inch bull barrel. anyone have one or know much about that line. i bought it to use as my primary deer/beer rifle. Good choice? what ammo would u suggest, i have been using federal 150 grain softpoints.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 11:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: new gun!

Ammo should be a great chice, sorry I know nothing about the rifles.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Don't the tactical models use a slightly faster twist barrel for heavier match grade bullets? I know the ones we used in the military were a faster twist barrel to wring as much accuracy as possible out of the rounds we put through them. And...that's gonna be a fairly heavy rifle even with the 20" pipe I would think. I made the mistake of lugging my .243 AI into the woods way back onto a power line on SGLs more than a few years back. The almost 1 1/4 mile drag out with a big doe and that roughly 13 pound rifle was the last time I ever did that and I was young and healthy then. BTW...be sure to post up any pics of the beers you harvest with it too!

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyjoeyoung
Don't the tactical models use a slightly faster twist barrel for heavier match grade bullets? I know the ones we used in the military were a faster twist barrel to wring as much accuracy as possible out of the rounds we put through them. And...that's gonna be a fairly heavy rifle even with the 20" pipe I would think. I made the mistake of lugging my .243 AI into the woods way back onto a power line on SGLs more than a few years back. The almost 1 1/4 mile drag out with a big doe and that roughly 13 pound rifle was the last time I ever did that and I was young and healthy then. BTW...be sure to post up any pics of the beers you harvest with it too!
He should be fine with bullets weights up to and including 180's. His rifle probably has an 11 or 12 twist, which is typical of the .308.

I think you see the use of faster twist barrels more in the 5.56 because of the very long bullets available for it.

A .308 can stabilize most bullets, excluding the 220 gr., with its standard twist rate. Even with a 1:8" barrel, which I'm not sure is available in any factory .308, I doubt he'd be able to launch a bullet fast enough to spin it apart.

I shoot 150's in my .308 and would recommend either those or 165/168's. The .308 is not a speed demon, especially with a 20" barrel, so you should be fine without the use of premium bullets. Those Federals you've been shooting should work just fine. I usually look no further than Federal Blue Box for factory ammo. I've found it to be very accurate in my rifles.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yup. They should have a 1:12 twist. 150's should do just fine. Still...the thought of lugging around a roughly 13 pound rifle makes my back hurt.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

Remington rifles in general are very good. A close friend has the model you are describing and it is a real tack driver. The only problem I see is the bull barrel making it heavy to carry.

You can't get em from the couch.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Sage

Yep, sounds like it should be a shooter, but that is a lot of weight to tote around.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

I believe these rifles are supposed to weigh in around 7.5 lbs, which is a fairly standard weight for a wood stocked sporter like those that many of us tote around.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Sage

Just looked it up. 7.5 lbs without optics. A lot less than was previously stated.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Wow, that's not bad at all! Figure scope and good rings add what?...18 ounces, maybe? Not too bad at all. It has to be from the Hogue pillar bedded stock. I have one on my Ruger 7-Mag and it really lightened up the rifle from the factory walnut. If it was the full-length bedded stock it wouls go about 8.4 pound naked. and about 10 pounds scoped with decent glass. The ONLY thing I don't like about the dual pillar bedded stock is that the foregrip is VERY sensitive to hold and does not like to have a bi-pod mounted to it. If you're gonna do any LR shooting I would suggest an HS precision stock...but the the 700 full blown tactical wouldn't be much more...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page