rain and rifles - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

rain and rifles

Will hunting in a rain bugger up a high powered rifle particularly the stock etc. I have a remington 30.06 model 700 with a (wood) walnut stock and a leupold 3x9. I can keep me pretty dry during a rain, but the rifle always has my concern. By rain, i am not speaking of a drizzle, nor a monsoon. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: rain and rifles

I don't take a chance...if there is rain in the forecast than any wooden stocked rifle stays home and I grab one of the synthetics. Just be sure either way to remove your stock after the day is done to ensure all is cleaned and dried.

Benefactor Life Member of NRA, Trout Unlimited
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My Win 70 has seen a lot of nasty weather over the 30+ years that I've owned it and I never had any problems. The biggest thing you need to worry about is your scope.

That said, other than wanting to take another deer with a handgun, when the weather turns wet & nasty, I like carrying my stainless steel Ruger Super Redhawk.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Sage

People have been hunting and fighting in the rain with wooden stocked rifles ever since there were wooden stocked rifles. I have used one rifle exclusively since 1970 for deer, in rain and snow and sun shine. I have never had a problem with the gun. I had it taken down by a gunsmith a few months ago for the first time for a good cleaning and there was no sign of weather damage. Just use some common sense after your gun gets wet, people have been doing it for hundreds of years.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Regular Visitor

Take your action out of the stock, and make sure it has a finish on it ,if not get some minwax stain and finish it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 09:06 PM

Rain can swell the wood and if it is against the barrle it can change how it shoots but it your not shooting 300yds or more you should be all right in the rain
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 09:33 PM

I have heen hunting for 29 years. Every one of my rifles have been wood stocked and blued steel. You just have to take care of them....If you neglect your rifle, It WILL rust.

I have only ever had one bolt action. An Interarms Mark X. I never had a problem with the stock swelling even though that rifle would have stayed dryer if I had thrown it in a lake some times.

One thing to remember though....If you take the barreled action out of the stock, You need to sight it back in after reassembly. You may get lucky and you will still hit to the same POA, But it is not likely.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
People have been hunting and fighting in the rain with wooden stocked rifles ever since there were wooden stocked rifles. I have used one rifle exclusively since 1970 for deer, in rain and snow and sun shine. I have never had a problem with the gun. I had it taken down by a gunsmith a few months ago for the first time for a good cleaning and there was no sign of weather damage. Just use some common sense after your gun gets wet, people have been doing it for hundreds of years.
I'm guessing that would be the model 88?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Wiz

We have had hundreds if not thousands of guns come through the shop over the past 20+ years and most are folk's general hunting rifles used in all weather. We haven't seen one yet that has shown any signs of stock swelling. Some have also been in fires and we have two that were stored in a very damp storage shed for a few years. The stocks are just fine but the metal is very pitted and rusty.

Just dry the gun off at the end of the day and give it a light coat of a Teflon based oil. No need to "add a quart" as this is the #1 reason for gun malfunctions that we see. WD-40 works for some but it is a water displacer and rust inhibitor. Bluing is a fine controlled rust. Based on my experience, the bluing on guns that are oiled with WD-40 tend to have more worn bluing than those oiled with Teflon based lubricants. Petroleum based lubricants are also very problematic on Remington 760's and 7600's as it deteriorates the O-ring around the magazine tube and the guns don't slide well when it breaks which could cost you a shot at your critter.

Make sure to never to throw a coat or vest over the metal on the ride home or don't leave it in the case until the next day as this is a sure recipe for rust.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Sage

Good guess.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page