Bedding and Floating - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Bedding and Floating

Anyone ever try bedding the action on a rifle? How much does it cost at a gunsmith typically? Thinking about bedding the action and floating the barrel on my Model Seven and then maybe some trigger work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 02:10 AM

Re: Bedding and Floating

It's not that difficult to do yourself. Looking at about $80 for a smith to do it.

"If ignorance is a disease then Ted Nugent is the cure!!!"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 08:43 AM

Is this a wood or synthetic stock? If wood, you need to google the subject and follow instructions. Not difficult to do, but opening the barrel channel does not always guarantee better accuracy.

Read this: http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...t-float-79879/

benchrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 12:06 AM
The Man

Ive been bedding rifles for years and every rifle i get its the first thing i do. Its like anything else its easy if you know what you are doing but can make one big mess if you dont. Do some searchs and decide if you want to try. As far as the trigger there are 2 different kind of guys who do that. People who know what there doing and fools who think they do. Dont go messing with that trigger if you dont know what your doing you can hurt yourself or somebody else.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 09:09 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I floated, bedded the lug/tang, and installed pillars in a Model 70 I own. Went from 1.5" groups to 0.5" groups.

Biggest thing is to read up on using bedding compound, keeping it out of where you don't want it, and properly applying release agent do you don't glue your rifle to its stock, lol.

I used acra-glass that I got from Brownell's. Worked great.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

It's a Remington Model Seven LS. So it's in a laminate stock. Probably gonna have it done at a smith so it gets done right. Not sure if I should get it bedded and floated or just floated though. I'll have to wait and see how much trigger work would cost.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 01:01 AM
The Man

I would have it bedded you can float it but the main thing is having that action sitting in one place. Trigger work depending on the smith shouldnt be that much. Its fairly simple but i wont try telling you. What i was saying in previous post if not done properly when you close the bolt especially in cold weather you could send a live round. Its like the impotance of properly installed brakes on your car. Bedding compound in wrong areas make a royal mess along with not enough release agent in right place will give you a glued in action. Good luck with your gun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page