Another 7mm-08 Load Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Another 7mm-08 Load Question

I have a few 7mm-08's (Winchester Mod 70 and Encore 15" pistol) and have been hunting with them for roughly 8 to 10 years now. Up until now I've used Rem 120g and 140g hollow points and have had great success with them on whitetails, great accuracy and no problem putting game on the ground. I like the caliber so much that when it was time to buy my son a rifle this year that's what I got him (Marlin xs).

Anyway...to make a long story short after near 10 years of having most of the equipment I finally taught myself to reload this past spring. I am loading a Sierra 130g SSP with 42.5g of 4064. I'm getting good accuracy out of both rifles. I realize shot placement is key and no doubt this load will kill deer but my question is does anyone have any experience/thoughts about the 130g SSP as far as putting down game.

The only reason I'm second guessing is because in the early youth doe hunt my son shot at a doe at approx 80 yards. He said the shot felt good, the deer was quartering to us and up hill (I know when the shot feels good when I pull the trigger it's "game on" pretty much every time). We searched a very long time and never found a single spec of blood or any indication of a hit. I figured he just plain missed. Well a gentleman that lives near where this took place has told him there's been a doe limping around lately so naturally I'm thinking he at least hit it... Sooooo, I guess now I am second guessing the bullets.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Re: Another 7mm-08 Load Question

If in fact it is the doe he shot at it's not the bullet it's the shot.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 10:58 PM

Jock,

Looking at your son's senerio, he may have hit the point of her shoulder, of which may not have allowed the bullet to penetrate. Possibly Just created a flesh wound and maybe a broken bone.

The Sierra 130gr SSP bullet is designed for handguns chambered in rifle calibers (ex.Encore/Striker in 7mm-08 and 7-30 Waters). This bullet, in my opinion is way to soft for rifle velocities. I understand you load for a 15" Encore, which this bullet is fine for that application. For your rifles, I would opt for a stronger bullet design.

Siera 140gr Prohunter
Hornady 139gr BTSP
Nosler 140gr Ballistic tip.

All of the above are great bullets for whitetails. IMR4064 will serve you well with all of them as well. My favorite load for my father's rifle is a 140gr Prohunter over a pile of 4064. Many deer have taken the dirt nap to that load.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is deadly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 11:12 PM

I load for my nephew a 120gr ssp bullet for his M700 7-08. he gets complete pass thru 99% of the time unless he is shooting length wise. we are talking about a whitetail deer at 80 yards not a wild boar armour plate of a moose shoulder bone, there is no way I can believe that the bullet didnt penetrate, I have penetrated with complete pass thru with a 50gr nosler ballistic tip thin jacket groundhog bullet from a 22-250 right on the scapula bone. I would speculate that it was a bad shot sorry to say even though he felt the shot was good. that bullet will be fine I have always felt that in a 7mm-08 a 140 is too heavy and have much better luck with 120's. A word of experience though I have had erratic accuaracy changes with 4064 and temprature changes. Try Varget anything based on a 308 case it works very well on. I have also had good luck with RL19.

bullet weight/construction shouldnt be an issue at all.

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

GWH that was my initial thought and I know exactly what you are saying.

REgar, thanks for your opinion and I will take your advise. Fact is when I bought these bullets I was still married and wanted a "universal" bullet to load for my wife for the Mod 70 and myself for the Encore and this is what Sierra recommended to me.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

And thanks for your input too Varmint. As I said I was figuring poor shot placement also, just wondered if maybe there were a little more to it.

I'll remember the tip about the powder also, thanks for the heads up.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Regular Visitor

150 grain remington core-lokt with 39 grains of W-748 and federal 210 primer-great performing load in my 7-08 rifles
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 11:32 PM

Shots feeling good don't always mean good results at the other end....Deflection from brush or whatever could have caused a nonfatal wound...

Good luck with the loading aspect....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:35 AM

i load 120 gr. pro hunters for my dads and he hasnt had a deer go 20 yards.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:41 AM

140 grain Nosler Accubond; 42 grains Varget; CCI 200; very accurate.

benchrest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page