Feed back on the 30-06 managed recoil needed - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Feed back on the 30-06 managed recoil needed

I will be taking my 12 year old nephew hunting for the first time on Monday. I decided to pick up a slightly used Rem 770 in a 30-06 that I can lend out in cases like this where a child or a friend wants to hunt but not sure if they are going to like it to buy a gun of their own. I decided to buy the managed recoil loads to break him in since he hasn't shot a high powered rifle before. We are going out to shoot tomorrow morning to sight it in and make sure he's comfortable with it. With all that being said, what kind of performance or knock down can I expect on an average sized deer with it? I know a bolier room shot is usually a kill regardless of the caliber but if he was to be a slightly off with his aim, will I be chasing a wounded deer all day. I know its all subjective but wanted to know of any positive or negative results experienced from those who have used them in the past. I appreciate the feedback.

Watch your top knot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Feed back on the 30-06 managed recoil needed

I believe that if you keep shots at 100 yards or less you will notice no difference in terminal performance..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:38 PM

All I know is they are accurate in my 270 and 30-30.They cut recoil about half.If he is a little guy 30-06 managed recoil may bother him some.My son didn't like them in 270 last year at 12.Now it doesn't bother him.Want to try and find a deer all day?Make the kid recoil shy.I think from a bench it may be more than likes.Good luck I hope he does well tomorrow and of course Monday.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Those rounds work very well. They are fully capable of taking any deer in the state but shot placement is key to any killing. He will put them where they need to be when the time comes because he won't be afraid to pull the trigger. There is nothing better than lots of time behind the trigger though.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Well we did shoot yesterday and I was extremely impressed with the accuracy of the gun. I sighted it in with them which did not take much to be driving tracks with a good tight group. I handed the gun over him and he was a trooper saying the kick did not bother him at all because there really was none. He shot it off the shooting bench as well as off the shooting sticks as he will most likely be shooting from them in the ground blind. We filled some empty plastic jugs with water once he felt comfortable with the gun and we had water jugs exploding with every shot he had at our range. If we can get a deer to stay still long enough I am confident he will hit the deer. I do have to say that I like the accuracy of the 770 but am not thrilled about the bullet feed from the magazine. It's not even nearly as smooth and flawless as my model 700 or model 7. I told him to chamber the round with authority. If you do it softly the gun had a tendency to jam on the feed. Thanks for the feedback guys. Good luck to you all on opening day.

Watch your top knot!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good luck to you and your Son.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Banned

Good luck to you and don't worry about the 125. It will do fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page