.300 RUM Ammo - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

.300 RUM Ammo

Had to buy a new box of ammo for the Ultra Mag this weekend and it cost $75.00 at Gander Mountain! Now I know I shoot an obscure caliber and I expect to pay more but WOW. I was just curious as to the cheapest ammo any of you have found and where did you get it from? All I have ever shot out of it is the 180 grn swift sirocco bonded ones from Remington.

BTW, what is the best grouping that you have ever managed and with what ammo? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: .300 RUM Ammo

for my 300 RUM I use Federal 180 grain Trophy Tips I used these on antelope and deer and am very happy with the results and my gun just loves these Grice Gun shop has them on sale for $49.99 a box right now and I think Federal has a rebate goin on right now. when I need ammo I check with grice then check online at http://www.midwayusa.com or http://www.ableammo.com Also check this link http://www.ammoseek.com

Freezer full yet?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks SMITTY. BTW, what make and model gun do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a Remington XCR II with Leupold VX III 3.5-10 x 40mm also Nosler has a special goin on you buy 2 boxes and get one free

Freezer full yet?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:06 PM

TO, what you paid is what you paid. I hate when guys start with you could've got them for $$$. If you are a reloader you could help yourself maybe?? If like me and only hunt with the RUM it wouldn't get lots of reloadin. What i'ed say shop at like Midway or places like that they are alot cheaper but you need lead time. Buy 2-3 boxs at a time to offset shippin. I just shot mine a few days ago and was first since last yr. Shot Rem.cor-lokt 180's at 100 and 4 shots at 11/4". A 300rum is not a target round but as I only hunt with it and for last few yrs. just bear I feel ok with how it shoots. When I get time from other guns I'll fine tune it and tighten up the group and shoot it at 200yd. groups. Right now it's 1" high at 100 since I got it in 05 I've got 104 rounds through it now and mostly cause mounts broke. I wasted a box tryin to see why groups got big like 6" and saw that Leupold dove-tail broke. It's got the best Leupold rings and base they make now but soon to be replaced with HART 1 pc. ring and base strongest base made in USA. Good Luck and don't let price of bullets get you down you have 1 of the best .30 cal. goin, Good Luck .....later
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Oh I know that. I'm not bemoaning the fact that I paid that because I accept the fact that I will have to pay to play.

I also realize that I am not going to be clover leafing it at the range with a big magnum, just wondering what some of you were getting for groups.

That's too bad about your mounts. I also have Leupold rings and mounts with a Bushnell Trophy 3x9 and have had ZERO problems so far.

I was just trying to find out the best deals on ammo that's all. I'm not trying to find a box of ammo for $30 because I know that won't happen. My last box lasted 5 years as I don't shoot the gun very much so it's not that big of a deal.

I agree that the RUM is one of the best .30 cals out there. I have taken deer, bear and elk with it and it has performed flawlessly. A lot of my buddies think I am crazy for lugging that thing around but it is the mist comfortable guns I own. I am 6'3" and it just fits my long arms better than any other of my rifles. And it doesn't destroy deer like so many people think.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 PM
The Man

I reload for mine, and it will shoot honest .5 inch groups off the bench. The best I ever did was one ragged hole sighting in two years ago for bear season at 100 yards. That was with barnes triple x 168gr bullets, and 92gr of RL-22 in RP brass with a Win LRM primer. For factory fodder, it shoots the 180gr sciroccos and the 180gr federal premium barnes x bullets under an inch at 100. Mine is a Remmy CDL, straight factory. I love the thing to death, and actually think it's fun to shoot it. Can't seem to get any of my buddies to shoot her though.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden811
I reload for mine, and it will shoot honest .5 inch groups off the bench. The best I ever did was one ragged hole sighting in two years ago for bear season at 100 yards. That was with barnes triple x 168gr bullets, and 92gr of RL-22 in RP brass with a Win LRM primer. For factory fodder, it shoots the 180gr sciroccos and the 180gr federal premium barnes x bullets under an inch at 100. Mine is a Remmy CDL, straight factory. I love the thing to death, and actually think it's fun to shoot it. Can't seem to get any of my buddies to shoot her though.
LOL. I know, I can't get anyone to shoot mine either but IMO a 3 1/2 magnum turkey load bucks worse than the RUM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

Trask-what make and model is your 300 RUM also what ammo did you buy for $75.00 at Gander MT?

Freezer full yet?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

I had a rem 700 bdl in 300 ultra, but I reloaded for it. 1 pound of powder is about $25, 100 primers is about $5, and 50 nosler accubonds run about $30. That comes to $90 for enough materials to load 100 rounds, or $18 a box. As far a accuracy, if I did my part I could get sub half minute groups.

You can't get em from the couch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page