new gun care question?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

new gun care question??

i just bought a remington 700 sps tactical this summer, and want to do all i can to prevent rust, dust, ect..from ruining it. im just wondering what you guys do to protectal metal and action when hunting in rain, snow, sleet, etc.. i plan on hunting in all weather with it for many years. just wondering what you guys do. thanks!

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: new gun care question??

If it gets wet, it gets wet, its what you do after that saves it. If it gets soaked, clean thoroughly, set rifle minus the bolt muzzle down in a warm dry area. Put a rag under the muzzle so you don't mess up the crown. I let them sit a whole day then go back and inspect. Stay away from heavy oils, use modern gunlubes, there are several good ones. If you know how to disassemble the bolt, do so and let dry. If you don't, thats ok just lube and dry it. There has been a great debate for decades about WD-40 on guns. I don't think it hurts a thing, but others will disagree. Over oiling a Remington bolt for years can result in the firing pin hanging up, I have seen it many times. Use a teflon gun oil like Remoil, but use it sparingly, you don't need much. There is no magic potion to keep them dry in the rain, just take extra care to clean it correctly and you will be fine. Good choice on the rifle.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Part of the Community

I use REM OIL and have for years. Its easy to use just spray it on and wipe it down. It displaces water and lubricates without leaving a heavy oil that dirt sticks to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:13 AM
Banned

Do a little research on Break-free CLP. I switched to this about 7 years ago and it has performed better than anything else I have used over 40 years.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 05:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

You should never have a firing pin hang up. Don't you do a field strip on your bolt at least once a year??

I am also one of those guys who does not like WD-40. WD-40 is a penetrating oil. Not a rust preventative, or a lubricant. IMO you can buy plenty of rust inhibitors. And for lubtrication I prefer SLIP 2000.

I also use some vasoline on my rifles. If I know it is going to rain real hard then I usually put a small steady amount of vasoline along the barrel channel to keep the rain form going underneath the barrel. And a finger cot over the muzzle. However it should not be as important with a plastic SPS stock as it is with a good piece of lumber.

Learn to completely disassemble your rifle(plenty of videos on U-tube). Including the bolt. And be sure to do a complete dis-assembly at least once a year. I usually do mine after the entire season is over.

And the best tip I can give you for re-assembly is to pay special attention to how you torque all your screws. A torgue wrench is a very very very wise investment for your rifles. Just an opinion. Tom.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 AM

There is an interesting article in the current issue of RIFLE SHOOTER magazine by Layne Simpson. He recommends the Gun Boonie sold by Middlepoint Trading Company. No price or web site in the article. Try to Google it.

benchrest
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

thanks for the info guys? would you recommend taking the entire gun apart when soaked or just weight till after the season. bc i do not want to mess with my zero. i use rem oil, but have used break free, think i should get some more break free or stick with rem oil?

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Wiz

When my gun gets wet, I wipe off all the heavy moisture with a clean rag and then let it dry. After its dry I give it a light coat of a teflon based lubricant (Tri-flow or Rem-oil). After I'm done for the season I take it apart and give it a thorough cleaning. If you don't take the scope off of a bolt action, but remove the barrel and action from the stock, zero should be the same as long as you tighten the screws adequately.

Another trick we do is run a bore sighter in all of our scoped guns before taking them out of the wood or doing any other work on them. After working on them we put the bore sight back on and make sure the crosshairs are in the same place. We keep a slip of paper with all of our guns so we know where zero is for them. Most customers can't believe the guns are still zeroed when they take them out the first time to shoot them after a repair.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 09:58 PM
The Man

Wd 40 won,t hurt anything if used correctly.It is a water dispersant.You could use it to preclean and to remove moisture.Then go to your regular cleaning regimine and lube with a quality lubricant.WD40 has no lasting lubricating capability.Fact is it will dissolve andd evaporate in a short time.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 10:01 PM
The Man

I just realized I posted this on the wrong thread.It suppose to go on the raining thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page