which model 700 caliber - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

which model 700 caliber

question, i was given a pristine remington barrel in 264 win mag. i am looking for a junk remington bdl just for the action to put this barrel in. i know i need a long action but was wondering what calibers would be a direct fit for this barrel with little to no gunsmithing other than swapping the barrels. thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: which model 700 caliber

Someone correct me if I am wrong but, any long action with a bolt face diam. of .540

257 Weatherby, 264 Win Mag, 270 weatherby Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Weatherby Mag, 7 STW,
7mm Rem Ultra Mag, 300 H & H, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby Mag, 300 RUM, 303 Brit,
8mm Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag, 340 Weatherby Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H & H, 375 Weatherby,
375 RUM, 416 Rem Mag, 458 Win Mag, and the 458 Lott
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

I believe a 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag will work for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 10:28 PM

Oh Boy great some one to bull with... You are on a fun road now!!! Look at the older 721 Remington's they are a fine action good no great steel and plenty strong. When I was lookin for 722's I found a few around $300.00 complete guns. I wouldn't pay for the 722's at $600.00+ to just get an action. I found an older 700 short action which is what I wanted made in 1981. Just keep lookin and you'll find something good. Mine is goin to be a 6.5 Creedmoor also a .264 dia. Your in for some good fun, nothin like a good build and on a Remington to boot...later
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 10:50 PM

One other thing don't worry to much about bolt face to cartridge so many the same. 700 and 721/722's will interchange anyways. If your a reloader look at shell holders and you'll see how many are the same. With your barrel in .264 mag. you'll smoke those nice bullets in .264 dia. I think the 140's are like 612 BC. You might have said but how long is barrel?...later
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

i advised my local gun shop to let me know if any cracked stock or pitted junk bdl's come in. he just sold one last week for $289. my question is will the 30.06 and 270 work as these are the most common ones that come into the gun shops. this is just a small project i want to do mostly myself. i want the caliber that requires the least amount of gunsmithing. lets say i found a 30.06 or 7mm bdl. what else would have to be done besides swapping the barrels? i want to install my own trigger because i have replaced triggers before and put a bell and carlson medalist stock on it.in other words besides swapping the barrels i want to do most of the build myself. thanks for the suggestions
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Stick with the cartridges I listed and you wont have to worry about the bolt. Might have to tweak the magazine here or there, other than that and setting headspace when you swap barrels it should be easy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:10 PM

Don't even worry the bolts don't break the bank. It's easy fix, but to be sure look at shell holder chart to ease your mind. You can get 721 like I said for 300.00 all day and trust me it would be nice. They had the shinnie steel bolt handles with a nice ball on the handle curved nice for scope. Look on net for older 700's complete back when adl and bdl were wood stock only. I wanted the Adl without floor plate just like the look. I bought a beautiful 700 in .308 I wanted the stock to be at a glance all Remington. I paid $420.00 for the doner gun so I got action and stock basiclly. I wanted the SS barrel on a blued action a look I like. The most funny thing about doner gun was it had a 3X9 Banner scope on it that I might have to use till summer I 'm spendin money like water on smith work and stuff. I'm not that good at nuts and bolts, I'm a dumb bricklayer give me cement and I'll build you a palace. My gun should be done soon it's at R.w. Hart's, great people...later
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

b&g i live 20 minutes from harts. when i find the doner gun i wasn going to take it to bobby to have the barrel changed. he put a muzzle brake on a 340 weatherby of mine and i was happy with the bwork and turn around time
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:49 PM

He's good guy Bobby, love talkin with him, John too. He had me holdin his .30 Hart to snap off trigger nice gun. He loves that 1000yd. stuff for sure. A couple guys in and out with some fine guns. Money don't mean much around them boys. Love the shop the best just plane jane, but fine gun work. I can't wait to get my gun back. This year I sat in treestand waitin for G-son to get his deer thinkin of my gun. Oh ya he got a 4pt. with compound first one I was nuts for him!!! One more to go the other G-son is picky.. I didn't hun t while with them felt like it was their time.. I shot a 18" 8pt. by my self 2 Friday's ago, and he was with 1 doe tendin her, poor guy I wrecked his day 9:30 am Before you start post picture up of doner gun. Mine is in this Firearm forum take a look. When I was lookin for a doner gun I found a beautiful 722 Rem. in Texas in .300 sav. 24" bbl. almost bought it to leave as is, it was cherry too but I have a soft spot for .300Savage's and I'ed have never been this far with my build. So many guns so little time...later

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page