Shot the new gun... not good. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Shot the new gun... not good.

Well I posted pics of my new rifle on here earlier today and went to shoot it this evening.
The first 3 shot group landed as one large hole an inch and a half high and inch right. No worries right? Quick adjustment and I was ready to go again. Let the gun sit for about 15 minutes and went back at it.
Second group, not a shot on paper, fired one more three shot group and also not on paper.
Now I know enough about marksmanship to know two things very well....
Number 1. I did not do anything crazy in the adjustments, meaning I didnt overadjust or go in the wrong direction.
Number 2. Even a hot gun would not throw rounds that bad.

So my question is this: What in the [censored] is going on????

My best guess is that something is not tight in the scope mounts or rings, I'm gettin ready to check that out right now. If it isnt that then it has to be the scope.
I talked with a gunsmith who I know well and he agrees, so I was just curious what everyone on here though and if anyone had had any similar experiences??
Thanks.

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:39 PM

Re: Shot the new gun... not good.

Was the scope boresighted? I'd check the rings and bases. Make sure eye relief is good too.

Did you start shooting at 25 yards or 100? That makes a difference too. Start at 25 to get it on paper and go from there. Prolly just not boresighted or its shaking loose.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

It was boresighted, and I went straight to 100 ran out of daylight before I realized how bad the problem was. Probably should have stopped after the second group but wanted to rule out a personal error.

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 12:26 AM
BBB
Frequent Contributor

What scope? Had a simans do that ?
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 12:31 AM

scope is where your troubles at, if not then mount / rings.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 12:38 AM
The Man

Is the barrel floated, were you resting on barrel when shooting? Just some things to consider.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 12:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sounds like bases are not tight. Did you mount the scope? If you got one nice group at that distance the first time, something moved ALOT for the next groups. I see in your pic you have a decent scope and good mounts, Did you firmly tighten base screws before turning in the dovetail ring? Always remember when mounting scopes that metal fatigues under stress. Tighten your base screws and walk away, come back in ten minutes and you will get another quarter turn on each screw. Often, if you just cinch them up and mount the scope, after a few shots they are already loose.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 01:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Check rings and bases. Check Scope. Check action screws. Keep hands/fingers off barrel when shooting. Make sure barrel is not touching stock especially if you torque on it a bit when holding it down. Could be any one or a combination.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well fellars I went out to the garage to check things out and found all the screws from the mounts up to be tight. Also checked the stock bolts and such and found them also to be tight.
I talked to my gun shop buddy and he is going to have me bring it in on friday.

To answer a couple of the questions:
Yes the barrel was free floated and no I absolutely was not resting on it. I zero from the prone with my right arm tucked up under the stock holding the gun into my shoulder. The bipod takes care of the rest.

I have been on a quest of sorts when deciding which rifle to buy. I have always heard of the accuracy of the savage rifles and given the price and the fact that I am not currently able to afford as high end as I would like to go, It became the obvious choice.
I chose 30-06 because it is the (IMHO) the best of the big three (270, 308 and '06) and has good ammo in good supply (not to reloading yet either).

Evenutally I want to be able to hold a consistant 500-600 yards with this rifle. The optics obviously aren't there yet but the gun is... Hopefully this doesnt turn out to be one for the mystery mobile and scoobie doo to figure out.

Never Forget.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 02:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Might be the scope itself. The gun is capable of shooting a good group, you proved that. For accuracy to go bad so quickly the scope could have crapped out.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page