700 REM-308,not working right?????? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

700 REM-308,not working right??????

The darn thing won't pick up the shells from the magazine!!!!!The bolt will just slide over top of them???I put a new clip spring in it last year,but that did very little good???
Here is what is happening. The first case will snap in perfectly,the second one,i have a hard time getting down in.The shell will go in with the front of the follower dipping down in the mag.If i do get more than 2 shells in it,like 3,it will not pick any of them up or jams into the front of the mag ,if the bolt picks it up.
I am ready to get rid of this thing but it groups shots so darn well!
Any ideas on this problem?

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 700 REM-308,not working right??????

Exact same thing happened to me this year. Poor quality control at Rem. I didn't send mine back to Rem because I was in the middle of building the gun.

I bought an Rem. SS ADL in 243 and had Pac Nor install a 35 Rem barrel on it for me. Got it back from Pac Nor and put everything together. Wouldn't feed at all. I thought converting it to 35 Rem was the problem, nope. Took it to Bob Green to have it checked out. He polished the feed rails and smoothed the ramp. It now feeds PSP's fine, but round nosed will still hang from time to time. After the season I need to have a little more taken off.

First thing to check, make sure your mag box is sitting in perfect. If so, dont be afraid to tweek the box a little. Bend the front lips in just a tad, it should help feed a little better. But id be willing to bet your gonna need the ramp and feed rails polished, and maybe the corners of the box tapered a little.

Oh, and just a bit of advice, if you have the stamped follower, find a milled follower. It makes a world of difference, or at least it did for me.

Heres a link with pics to make sure you have the mag box in right. Im sure you do, but it may help...

Mag box issues
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Suddenly I started to have feeding issues with 700/7mmMag that I have owned for 20years. The first shell would feed fine and if any more than two were in the magazine the next shell would pop out. I was beside myself. I must have taken it apart a dozen times trying to figure it out, finally just putting it in the safe for two years in disgust. I finally got online to order all new parts and I found a similar article about proper magazine position. In 30 seconds it was fixed and feeding perfectly fine. Check the magazine fit first. I had than gun apart every year for almost 20 years and suddenly put it together wrong, then thinking the wrong way was right, I kept assembling it that way.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 04:21 AM

Factory ammo or reloads???
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Thank you folks for the advice.
I fell like i figured it out? The magazine sides were out of the slot that it is to set down into,but tight! After going to the link that pahick,put in his answer and looking at some photos,it put some light on to the problem.
This problem started in 07,after i had a new barrel installed.Not right away,but after shooting it few maybe 75 rounds? Myself,not being a gunsmith,had no idea that a real gun repairman,would mess things up,but it happened!
Most likely ,to put the barrel on and set it,he had to take the mag apart and off the receiver.It did not go fully back into the slot and popped out after i had shot it awhile.
I worked on it yesterday,after i had seen scrape marks on the mag side,where it was to be up into the receiver. I filed it little,on the corners,not enough to make it real loose,but a snug snap fit. I got it back in and screwed down,put the gun back together and loaded some blank shells?
I can't remember when they went into the mag as easy and not popped out or nose dived into the receiver ramp
As Mfuff said,i'd been putting it back together right,but,my right was the wrong right???????
I shall try to get to the range this week and see how it works.Time is short,till deer season gets here.
THANKS YOU FELLOWS,for the help,
Willyp

WILLY P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page