Savage 220 SLUG gun 3" vs 2 3/4? Pros vs cons - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Savage 220 SLUG gun 3" vs 2 3/4? Pros vs cons

What are the pros and cons of a 3 inch vs 2 3/4 shell in a deer specific slug gun in 20 gauge? Between the two they off I only see a 5 shell capacity vs 3 shell capacity. I can only assume more knockdown power? I know in a normal shotgun you're getting more pellets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 12:17 AM
Banned

I donít know youíre saying or asking???
I canít make sense out of it.
Every shell Iíve shot out of my 220 slug gun has shot well.
Pellets???
The capacity will be same in whether your shooting 3Ē or 2.75. Your not shooting pellets.
The gun has a detachable magazine.
Dogface and stinkbait like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 08:02 AM

My 220 likes the Remington Accutips in the 3" size. There is a slight velocity advantage over the 2 3/4", and different POI @ 100yds, but beyond 150yds the 3" has the advantage in trajectory if both are zeroed the same.

Accuracy between them is about the same, about 1 1/2" @ 100 yds. Last, the 3' has a little more recoil, but, hey, it's only a 20 ga so not a problem.

I filled in the voids and glas bedded the stock simply because it was too flexible for my taste, and it made a difference.
Dogface likes this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 08:13 AM
The Man

The pro is that the 3 inch shell will have slightly higher velocity and thus a slightly flatter trajectory, but neither is what you would call a long range load. The con is that the 3 inch shell will also have more recoil. Should be the same slug in each load and accuracy should be very similar if using the same brand/type of slug.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

This will be a specific deer gun only shooting slugs. All things being equal, it appears that the 3" is primarily a flatter shot. I mean they are both pushing the same item...a slug. I'm not sure what the recoil is between say a 12 3" vs a 20" 3" but I def notice a difference in a 12 gauge. If the diff is little out to say 150 yards, the 2 3/4 seems to be better recoil wise.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 06:05 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Using the example of the Accutips mentioned above, the differences between 3" and 2 3/4" velocity/recoil are very minimal. Remington specs the 3" load as [email protected]; 2 3/4" load as [email protected] Recoil energy generated from an 8.34lb gun (Savage specs the 220 at 7.34lb; plus approx one pound scope/mounts): 3" load- 15.77ftlb, 2 3/4" load- 15.14ftlb.
Dogface and flintlock hunter like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 12:39 PM
The Man

Marc Ret and the guys summed it up pretty good. I shoot mostly 2.75 Accutips out of mine because I cannot find any 3" Accutips locally. Those Jersey guys buy them all up as soon as they are on the shelves here in SE PA. The difference between the two is not worth worrying about.

BTW mine shoots both Accutip lengths and the old Federal Barnes round equally accurately. It is impressive.

For the record mine does not shoot the Hornady round with the sabot well.
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 01:03 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock hunter View Post
I filled in the voids and glas bedded the stock simply because it was too flexible for my taste, and it made a difference.
The stocks are junk. I was thinking about embedding a steel rod in my forearm and glassing it.

I've been tempted to buy a Boyd's thumbhole stock for mine. That would solve the problem for $149.00.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 02:13 PM
The Man

Yep, I never can find the 3"in stock anywhere, even if I drive up to Cabelas. Mine is accurate enough and deadly enough for the use to which I put it... black bears over bait in Maine and Canada. It has 5 to it's credit.
Dogface likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 05:05 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
The stocks are junk. I was thinking about embedding a steel rod in my forearm and glassing it.

I've been tempted to buy a Boyd's thumbhole stock for mine. That would solve the problem for $149.00.

Either way should fix the problem. I have a Boyds thumbhole on my 17 hmr and like it a lot. My 220 stock is filled with Accra Glas, free floated the barrel and bedded the action.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page