Remingto Model 700 Problem - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Remingto Model 700 Problem

I wanted to share what happened to me today when I shot my Remington model 700 in 270 caliber. I chambered a round shooting off a bench and took the safety off, when I tried to shoot the trigger would not move and would not fire. I looked and the safety was off, so I tried to put the safety back on and it wouldn't move. I stood up and with the gun laying on the bench pointing down range tried to put the safety on again pulling back harder and the gun went off. Scared the crap out of me, never had an issue before and after the gun fired I shot it two more times with no issues. I read online Remington is replacing triggers because of guns going off, does anyone know if I contact Remington or take it to a gunsmith.

The older I get the better I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 05:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would contact Remington to see what they say , then go from there. maybe they will fix it for a small fee or take it to a local gunsmith . good luck
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 05:24 PM

Had the exact same issue with a model 7 .243 that was my sisters rifle. Ended up getting rid of that gun for model 70 featherweight in same caliber. I have 2 model 700s and never had that happen with them, but honestly not a fan of remingtons safeties. That’s main thing that makes prefer Winchester rifles.
old06 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 05:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Call the factory, you can find the service dept # with a Google search. More than likely they will send you a shipping label and have you ship the gun to them and they will repair it at no charge. That's how they handled a friend of mine's rifle that had a similar problem about 20 years ago. With all the legal trouble they are having, I'm assuming they will be quick to handle your claim and certain to return a safe rifle.

If you take it to a smith, you will have to pay out of your pocket and depending on his ability you may not get a safe rifle back.
NorthernPotterCo likes this.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 07:00 PM
BBB
Frequent Contributor

Most Likely got some Crap or dirt in Trigger group . Need to get it checked out .
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I talked to one of my sons at Thanksgiving and he used to borrow this gun for years to hunt with and said he had a similar experience with this gun and never told me. I read where Remington was to replace the triggers on 7.85 million Remington's. I will give Remington a call and see what they have to say.

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I checked Remington's website and the model 7 and 700 are under a voluntary recall and due to the high volume of returns it will take 12 weeks to repair.

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 09:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Remington for years held to the position that this problem only occured in guns that had improper trigger work performed. Remington is no longer making this assertion. I know for a fact that my friend's gun never had any trigger work done. I have many Remington rifles, as I have always liked them. Just about all have had the triggers worked, and I have never experienced a problem.

The newest Remington I have is 2001, I think. I will buy an older rifle if the opportunity arises and am interested, but do not like their newer rifles as well. I like the 700s from the 60s & 70s the best. Although the trigger problems are known to exist in the older rifles as well. If I remember correctly my friends rifle was purchased in the mid 90's.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Bone View Post
I checked Remington's website and the model 7 and 700 are under a voluntary recall and due to the high volume of returns it will take 12 weeks to repair.

when Herb owned Gorenflos at 18th and State they were a Remington factory authorized repair center. i had my trigger replaced there many, many years ago by Herb.

Check with John, he owns it now, maybe there is something he can do. he always treats me right.
limbhnger10 and Pa.Bone like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 10:55 PM

Yeah I think there has been some fairly credible documentation about the 700 and similar problems.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page