Time to legalize Semi's - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 268Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Makes no sense that we have excellent firearms that reduce recoil with no increase in muzzle blast and allow one to stay locked on his target in case a second shot is required and yet they aren't legal here. 49 other States allow Semi's and yet there are people who think it will be a problem here? You cant rattle off aimed shots any faster than a pump gunner.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 09:01 AM
The Man

..I use mine for yotes and woodchucks...LOVE EM

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
post #3 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 09:03 AM

While I agree..... this will probably turn into a sky will fall and it will be a war zone thread from those anti semi auto guys. Personally I'd love to take something built on the AR platform for my days walking. The big heavy .300 win mag gets heavy and the long barrel is cumbersome in the thick stuff.
bohunr and Waynzee like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 09:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The only reason to not have semi's legal would be if there was a legitimate safety issue. Fact is, the use of semi's have been proven safe in hunting conditions across the country. There is a huge amount of data to prove that fact.

Good luck, Tony
bohunr, cz550, .257 and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 10:15 AM

I believe you should be able to use any action gun you want. A more controlled second shot is more easy. The one thing that I could be a problem is more people using guns in smaller calibers, if they go with the most common caliber in semi autos today. A 223 will kill deer, but not as well as larger calibers, when shot placement is off. With all the calibers you can buy or make in a semi auto, this may not even be a factor. And nosler does make a decent partition bullet in .224. I believe I would be looking at a 7400, as I like 30-06. I now use a semi auto for some small game, it was just a matter of finding one that met my accuracy standards. As for safety, an unsafe person is a threat no matter what type action they use.
bohunr, blackpowder and Waynzee like this.
post #6 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpottorff View Post
I believe you should be able to use any action gun you want. A more controlled second shot is more easy. The one thing that I could be a problem is more people using guns in smaller calibers, if they go with the most common caliber in semi autos today. A 223 will kill deer, but not as well as larger calibers, when shot placement is off. With all the calibers you can buy or make in a semi auto, this may not even be a factor. And nosler does make a decent partition bullet in .224. I believe I would be looking at a 7400, as I like 30-06. I now use a semi auto for some small game, it was just a matter of finding one that met my accuracy standards. As for safety, an unsafe person is a threat no matter what type action they use.
I get what you're saying about the 223. I have a Remington 742 BDL 30'06 that I would just love to be able to use.
bohunr, old06, limbhnger10 and 1 others like this.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #7 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 10:25 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpottorff View Post
I have mixed feelings on this issue. I would like to use an AR to shoot a buck. I haven killed multiple deer with a bolt .223 and 55gr, Sierra Game King. All but one fell in their tracks. However, we are a very populated state, meaning we have a larger share of idiots. I cringe at the thought of many of the AR shooters I encounter at public ranges being in the woods trying .to see if they can empty a clip at every running deer they see. Scary thought to me.
joe8768 and lanctrapper like this.
post #8 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 10:26 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercreep View Post
Makes no sense that we have excellent firearms that reduce recoil with no increase in muzzle blast and allow one to stay locked on his target in case a second shot is required and yet they aren't legal here. 49 other States allow Semi's and yet there are people who think it will be a problem here? You cant rattle off aimed shots any faster than a pump gunner.
"You can't rattle off aimed shots any faster than a pump gunner."

Who are you trying to convince?

Semi, pull trigger, pull trigger, pull trigger. Semi will be significantly faster because of the lack of pumping fired rounds out and unfired rounds in.
Stetam and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #9 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 10:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I pulled up the accident report for Wisconson, 2017 and 12 of the 22 accidents were from a semi autos. 3 self inflicted. The others shot by members from their party.
Laylow likes this.
post #10 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 10:48 AM

It is long past time. I recently talked with the Executive Director of the PGC about this. The PGC has complete control over semi auto rifles for hunting since the General Assembly passed a bill moving that authority to them.

This past spring a commissioner proposed legalizing semi autos for big game then pulled the proposal shortly thereafter. I told the ED of the PGC, it was obviously political pressure that caused that commissioner to pull the proposal. The ED denied it, then went on to talk about how much of a hot topic button the issue is right now in society, which basically contradicts his denial that there was not some outside influence being exerted.

I basically told the ED that our state legislature passed full control to the PGC, which is a green light via vote, to allow them for whatever they wish to.

With the meeting of the BOC upcoming in January, which is the meeting proposals are made for the 2020/21 hunting seasons, now is the time to email, call, or send letters to the commissioners stating your support of semi auto rifles for hunting and your reasons why you support them.

Send your emails to [email protected] and put "for the commissioners" in the subject line.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in