Time to legalize Semi's - Page 6 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 01:28 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
I believe the USAF was using it for a couple of years as the select fire AR15 before the Army was convinced.

I have read General LeMay loved it straight out of the gate.
He shot it and immediately ordered for the AF.
simoncool likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 05:19 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetam View Post
Honestly, AR's are a military firearm and have been since 1970ish so it's not really hype. Perception is real.

Stetam
LOL....here we go.... ANTI-Firearm hunters assemble!!!!!

The bolt Has been military firearm longer...
Dogface, old06, Tony300wby and 1 others like this.

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
post #53 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 07:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotejohn View Post
The big difference between the two is that the M4 has either a three round burst or fully automatic firing option. The M16 is about the same as the M4, just an older version.
The 3 round burst was added to the M16 in the early 80's, about 10 years before the military adopted the M4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercreep View Post
Done.
Thank you. We need more to keep the pressure on our commissioners to finally move this forward and put it to bed.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #55 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 08:51 AM

As far as the "military" angle that is so often used by those that oppose semi autos for hunting or the plain old anti-gunners, the reality is most every firearm in the evolution of weapons was designed with the sole purpose to kill people faster than firearms before them. Most every firearm design as one of a 'weapon of war". Including flintlock, percussion, bolt guns, pumps, lever, and semis.

That is why I cringe when I see people say that AR style rifles are military and should be restricted. Especially hunters. People that make those comments are either ignorant of history or so dug in on the issue they are willing to set aside the contradictory nature of the foundation that wish to fight from.
coyotejohn and Tony300wby like this.

post #56 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 08:57 AM

If we all owned mortar launchers, would you be pushing to use them? We all know what you can and can't use for hunting. You can't always use the easy button. The crossbow users are no different. If you can't make the first shot count , you shouldn't be shooting the second shot. Aim small , miss small.
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #57 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post
We all know what you can and can't use for hunting.
Do we? In most of the country, semi auto actions have been legal for hunting for decades and are accepted as normal hunting firearms by both hunters and non hunters alike.

Quote:
If you can't make the first shot count , you shouldn't be shooting the second shot. Aim small , miss small.
Which is the goal for all firearms, regardless of action type.

post #58 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 09:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post
As far as the "military" angle that is so often used by those that oppose semi autos for hunting or the plain old anti-gunners, the reality is most every firearm in the evolution of weapons was designed with the sole purpose to kill people faster than firearms before them. Most every firearm design as one of a 'weapon of war". Including flintlock, percussion, bolt guns, pumps, lever, and semis.

That is why I cringe when I see people say that AR style rifles are military and should be restricted. Especially hunters. People that make those comments are either ignorant of history or so dug in on the issue they are willing to set aside the contradictory nature of the foundation that wish to fight from.
While I think the "military" fallacy is held by many in the anti-gun/hunting crowd, I really don't think it is a belief held by many hunters that oppose semi-autos for hunting. For the majority of hunters who oppose them it is the action, not the physical appearance of the gun that is objectionable. AR, Garand, 742, it matters not. There are just some hunters in PA that feel the semi-auto has no place in the deer woods. I do count myself amongst them.

I do realize that many, at this point probably the majority, do not feel the same as myself. The day of the SA big game rifle in PA looms near. I'm not wasting my breathe protesting, but I personally don't like it.

I certainly enjoy shooting my AR, and feel a little safer at night knowing it's nearby should the need arise.
post #59 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 09:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post

While it's true that all the other legal for hunting firearms were first used/developed by/for the military without modifications for civilian use...the AR has been modified from it military version for civilian use...I don't believe the semiautomatic ONLY version was ever used by the military...kind of ironic that because of their looks, they are called "military"and "assualt " weapons.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #60 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 09:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post
If we all owned mortar launchers, would you be pushing to use them?
Why not...if they were legal to own...they should be legal to use.

Tony300wby likes this.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page