What happened to gunshops - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

What happened to gunshops

Wanting to start shooting again I noticed I was about out of ammo for my competition pistols. So I went to local gun shop to buy a 1000 bullets for each gun and thought I'd reload them over weekend when I got a spare few minutes as my Dillons are still set up and ready to go.
I walked into local shop and no bullets just ammo. Having previously owned and worked at gun shops I asked owner if they were just out or between suppliers or what. He commented they quit carrying reloading components other than the occasional box of rifle bullets before deer season. I offered the name and contact info of a good bullet manufacturer that would probably stock this mans store on a consignment basis. The owner wasn't interested. This isn't a store that is full of stuff as you can look over the shelves in 2 minutes or less.
Off to another local shop and more or less same story. Giving up and going home I called the big shops within a 25 mile radius and same story. Two of the stores I previously worked at no longer carried reloading components.
This is not the first time recently I have looked for something at local shops and been forced to buy online. The items I was looking for I felt were not strange but items that were carried and sold well when I previously operated shops.
The one local gun shop I used to frequent and still calls itself a gun shop has no guns or ammo in stock but is flush with archery equipment and camo hats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:54 PM

It cost a lot to have bullets and components sitting on the shelf. If the shop owner feels there's not enough turnover of that inventory then he's likely not going to carry it.

I buy all my powder from a local guy and some of his bullets that "work for me." (Those are usually lead) I buy my other lead from a caster here in Pa and my brass 'n jacketed bullets come usually from MidwayUSA. I believe that outfits like MidwayUSA and others have a good turnover of product as they essentially market nation wide.....where the local guy is just that......local.

FWIW
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:07 PM

For what it's worth, I order online from Xtreme Bullets, or Better Bullets(cast), or Berry's Bullets. Some of these are available in the Cabelas store in Hamburg. All three shoot very well for me.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superd View Post
Wanting to start shooting again I noticed I was about out of ammo for my competition pistols. So I went to local gun shop to buy a 1000 bullets for each gun and thought I'd reload them over weekend when I got a spare few minutes as my Dillons are still set up and ready to go.
I walked into local shop and no bullets just ammo. Having previously owned and worked at gun shops I asked owner if they were just out or between suppliers or what. He commented they quit carrying reloading components other than the occasional box of rifle bullets before deer season. I offered the name and contact info of a good bullet manufacturer that would probably stock this mans store on a consignment basis. The owner wasn't interested. This isn't a store that is full of stuff as you can look over the shelves in 2 minutes or less.
Off to another local shop and more or less same story. Giving up and going home I called the big shops within a 25 mile radius and same story. Two of the stores I previously worked at no longer carried reloading components.
This is not the first time recently I have looked for something at local shops and been forced to buy online. The items I was looking for I felt were not strange but items that were carried and sold well when I previously operated shops.
The one local gun shop I used to frequent and still calls itself a gun shop has no guns or ammo in stock but is flush with archery equipment and camo hats.
The the business world today the small guy cant' afford to carry everything the big boys do , they can't afford the inventory on the hopes it will sell and they know that is they did try to carry everything they could not compete with the prices the big boys charge. Sadly, the little guys are living on borrowed time.
Steeltrap likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Two of the replies to my original post have mentioned the shop maybe can't afford to carry the inventory. In my original post I mentioned to the shop owner of a business that manufactures bullets that would put the display in their shop probably on a consignment basis. I know this because he did same thing in 2 shops I worked at. When your shop is empty and a reputable business is offering inventory to be paid after it is sold you take it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superd View Post
Two of the replies to my original post have mentioned the shop maybe can't afford to carry the inventory. In my original post I mentioned to the shop owner of a business that manufactures bullets that would put the display in their shop probably on a consignment basis. I know this because he did same thing in 2 shops I worked at. When your shop is empty and a reputable business is offering inventory to be paid after it is sold you take it.
Why would he give another competing business exposure for a pittance of what the other business would make if he sold his product? Business isn't charity. Once the customer found out who was making the product they would most likely cut out the middle man and save themselves money.
Steeltrap likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

When I sold this businesses bullets he gave you the price sheet. On there was the price you were expected to sell for. The money you paid him when sold was a percentage of that. If you sold for less than his MSRP that came out of your pocket. The profit margin on their bullets was quite good. He has his own place of business also where you can buy from him and you pay the full price unless you present a copy of your sales tax license. In the case if my local shops they are about 30 miles from his shop and he is only open m-f during the day. If you work you probably can't get there by the time he closes. He will ship to you but you will pay shipping. They had an attractive deal and in my one previous shop we sold literally tons of them.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:25 PM
The Man

What happened to gunshops?

The Internet and big box stores.

That's what happened.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:44 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert View Post
What happened to gunshops?

The Internet and big box stores.

That's what happened.

^^^^
Attached Images
File Type: gif th.gif (1.51 MB, 83 views)
.257, Steeltrap and ruger300 like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

did you ever consider making your own bullets? a friend of my late uncle also deceased use to make his own and also for the York city police. I believe for target practice not sure if they met specks for on duty . he used wheel waits that came off tires that were replaced or rebalanced .he would melt them down and cast them into bullets. hope this helps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page